Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 saw back bayonet just found

Article about: I was at a local honey whole looking at a new collection of swords and bayonets that came in. This one caught my eye since it's brass and not the wood handle ones I saw a long with this. I t

FNG
    ?

Default WW1 saw back bayonet just found

I was at a local honey whole looking at a new collection of swords and bayonets that came in. This one caught my eye since it's brass and not the wood handle ones I saw a long with this. I took some quick photos and is this ww1? . I paid 50 dollars for it. It is missing the latch that connects to the rifle. I cannot take more photos since I cannot pick it up for a couple weeks since I was catching a flight after I left store. Any information would be great. Scabbard which is not really shown is in great condition.

I should of taken a picture of the blade but it's the same back version. Other side of handle has the grooves in handle of that makes sence
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 saw back bayonet just found   WW1 saw back bayonet just found  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 saw back bayonet just found
    P
    Many

FNG
    ?

[QUOTE=FNG;2270168]I was at a local honey whole looking at a new collection of swords and bayonets that came in. This one caught my eye since it's brass and not the wood handle ones I saw a long with this. I took some quick photos and is this ww1? . I paid 50 dollars for it. It is missing the latch that connects to the rifle. I cannot take more photos since I cannot pick it up for a couple weeks since I was catching a flight after I left store. Any information would be great. Scabbard which is not really shown is in great condition.

I should of taken a picture of the blade but it's the same back version.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 saw back bayonet just found  

A bit older than you think. This is a Prussian "Pioneerfaschinenmesser" M1865, it's 2nd type hilt so probably made 1867/68. The blades were often from the M1855 model. If you had photographed the blade marks we could nail down the history better. But even missing the lock spring, and with original scabbard (matching marks) $50 was a very good buy. could you post a photo of the blade when you receive it.
    The marks indicate 4th Pioneer Regiment, Company 3. weapon #5.

FNG
    ?

I had a feeling it could of been Prussian but wasn't sure. Definitely older then I thought. Yes I'll post a picture of the place once I receive it. Thank you again. I wish someone with more knowledge was there at this place, there was like over 60 to 70 different bayonets, swords, trench knives ect l. A lot of British bayonets and a lot of nice matching ww2 bayonets of the k98.

I was definitely off on the date , but this is why there are forums like this and knowledge of wealth from people. Thank you
    I'll see if tomorrow the guy can take a picture of the blade for me and then I'll post it.

FNG
    ?

Here you go, he sent me some photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 saw back bayonet just found   WW1 saw back bayonet just found  

WW1 saw back bayonet just found   WW1 saw back bayonet just found  

Maker is W.Jung & Sohne, Suhl, which would be about 1868. Should be a FW cypher on blade spine. This could have seen service in the Franco-Prussian war.

FNG
    ?

Any value/collectable to this being in the condition it is? I wouldn't doubt it was in that war

?

PFM1865 is very unreal that would remain in origin configuration as majority were reworked to PFM1871,so most real here when MRD17,4mm to this diameter bushed out,is M1865/71 the unit is a 4.Reserve Pionier Batallion, 3.company and wepon nr.5, the date of production should be on spine of blade near crossguard.

That's a little pedantic, but the OP could measure the diameter of the muzzle ring to check, but whatever it's later modification it began as the M1865. It's not a M1871 as it has the earlier hilt, which may or may not have been bushed to take the later rifle.

?

Unfortunally there exist PFM1869 as described in F.Ruediger book, which was between PFM1865 and PFM1871, and this could be only seen when presented pictures of crossguard stamps under blade or spine of blade. I have similar PFM1869/71 piece from same maker.
    here on the piece is missing a spring and locking nut/press button, anyway when payed 50USD its a steal, similar PFM M1865 or M1869 goes for 400 and more mainly when both parts are unit matched.
    Last edited by AndyB; 11-14-2022 at 08:15 AM.