Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI Dress sawback bayonet

Article about: Ok so I bought this bayonet I believe it is a WWI dress bayonet made by Carl Eickhorn. Hope you guys like it as much as I do . Gary

?

Default WWI Dress sawback bayonet

Ok so I bought this bayonet I believe it is a WWI dress bayonet made by Carl Eickhorn. Hope you guys like it as much as I do . Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Dress sawback bayonet   WWI Dress sawback bayonet  

WWI Dress sawback bayonet   WWI Dress sawback bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI Dress sawback bayonet
    P
    Many

Nice find Gary. It is an early Eickhorn KS98. That "back to back" squirrel logo was used up until 1921, so could be post WW1. I have a little suspicion the grip plates may have been replaced. Any scabbard? The condition of the nickel plating of the blade suggests it was in a scabbard for a long time.

?

This looks like early imperial Extra KS98 piece. It could be the grips are celuloid and they shrunked a little in time or per temperature? or they are replacements from later period.

?

Thanks for looking guys. Sorry no scabbard . Don't know about the grips but they have been on it for a long time.

Here's an Imperial era Eickhorn made KS98. Take a look at those grip plates. That's early Bakelite, with a brown tinge and drain hole.

?

Hi Anderson found this one on the web
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Dress sawback bayonet   WWI Dress sawback bayonet  

Look very similar Gary. I would say the key element in dating this is the grip plates and obviously the mark. I would lean to the end of the time range Eickhorn used this mark logo, 1921 and the black grip plates would sit better in that 1920/21/era than WW1 (1914-18).

?

I personally would disagree in that opinion that is later period piece, even Anderson pictured piece is made from 2 parts, the handle with steel crossguard and riveted blade inside, 2 rivets are evidently not early production, even the grip material could be early celuloid, the pictured piece here have a steel metall handle wout crossguard, which was attached separatelly on blade and riveted probably on it. So i assume this construction is earlier as 1918. The bakelit grips could be added offcoarse later but was normally made since 1910 in Germany. 3 rivets are copy of combat KS98 which were stopped in 1914 around, in late production leather grips were replaced with wood and 2 screws.Typical oval locking lug as on early dress Eickhorn production.

?

You boys know a lot more then me

I think you can get on shaky ground pinning a date on style, such as whether it has 2 or 3 rivets. A manufacturer may want to give a nod to an earlier era by incorporating an earlier feature. Trade marks are much safer ground for dating pieces as is materials we can date the development of, like Bakelite. I don't think the grips are Celuloid, but Gary could have someone examine them to determine the material, if he was interested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast