Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier

Article about: This is probably my favourite acquisition of 2023; It was owned by an officer commissioned into the Royal Scots Fusiliers (RSF) in 1939 who retired as a Lt Col in the Royal Highland Fusilier

Default 1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier

This is probably my favourite acquisition of 2023;

It was owned by an officer commissioned into the Royal Scots Fusiliers (RSF) in 1939 who retired as a Lt Col in the Royal Highland Fusiliers (RHF) the successor regiment to RSF and the Highland Light Infantry (HLI) in 1969, It is one of a total of 673 manufactured by The Wilkinson sword company in 1938.

It has a regimental etched blade which was an optional extra at the time of purchase.

The scabbard is the leather covered field service type.

The basket hilt can be removed and replaced with a straight cross guard which I am trying to source.

The brass "proof slug" refers to a bend test carried out to prove the swords suitability for actual use as a weapon in the field. It is more indicative of Wilkinson blades although in later years when swords were no longer actually used in combat it became more of a generic "Quality assurance" mark not really relating to mechanical testing and it is doubtful whether makers other than Wilkinson actually did carry out such testing anyway.

Particularly with Wilkinson blades there are three versions of the "Star" trade mark; one with no impressed brass slug - Standard quality. Another with a circular impressed slug - High quality and a third with a hexagonal impressed slug - Best Quality.

I am in the process of researching the owner but I discovered that he was born in British India and the records of the British India Office whilst available appear to have a different GRO Index reference system which is causing me a little difficulty but I will add the results here eventually.

Anyway, here a some pics and I hope you like it as much as I do.

Regards

Mark

1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier   1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier  

1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier   1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier  

1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier   1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier  

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Beautiful sword Mark and impressive condition

With diligence your research will pay off !
    Looking forward to it...congrats on a well produced sword.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Lovely sword Mark ,I never knew what those brass slugs were, love it when I learn somthing from a thread, Regards Paul

Very nice sword Mark. Congrats.
    John

?

I know absolutely nothing about swords but I can appreciate the beauty and engineering of this piece. Thank you posting.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Beautiful sword Mark.

Thanks for the comments gents,

I omitted to mention that the proof slug usually carries a maker mark (a totally blank one is known and attributed to Wilkinson) or sometimes just the word "proofed". In this case albeit quite rubbed by time the slug bears the stylised initials 'HW' for the maker H. Wilkinson.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

A nice sword. The earliest swords from Wilkinson were not numbered and used a different motif, with a number of them made for use in combat. It has been reported that the early swords were proofed personally by Henry Wilkinson, and I suspect that the disc used is actually gold. With time they evolved, and around 1905 they went to the hexagon shaped inserts. After WW II it was just etched. Besides the type shown here some field officers from Scottish Regiments carried different broadswords with more of a heavy cavalry style basket type guard (varies). The crossbar hilts a later innovation. Best Regards, Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images 1828 Pattern Basket Hilted Highland Officers Sword - Royal Scots Fusilier