Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1944 British army pocket knife

Article about: A recent purchase I got locally. Pretty happy with this as the blade besides some metal tarnish/pitting shows that at least it wasn’t heavily used after the war like some of these knives.

?

Default 1944 British army pocket knife

A recent purchase I got locally. Pretty happy with this as the blade besides some metal tarnish/pitting shows that at least it wasn’t heavily used after the war like some of these knives.

Both the knife and can opener were pretty stuck when I got so it I cleaned it up with WD40 so it’s pretty smooth now

Made by J clarke & son in Sheffield 1944

Cheers
    John

1944 British army pocket knife1944 British army pocket knife1944 British army pocket knife1944 British army pocket knife

MAP
    ?

Nice. I like the sheepsfoot style blade
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice find mate,
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers Rick

CBH
    ?

These knives are getting hard to find, they used to be everywhere.
    But like everything WWll they are getting bought up and becoming more collectable.
    As a young collector you should always remember that the cheap stuff rarely stays cheap.
    Nice find.

Quote by CBH View Post
    These knives are getting hard to find, they used to be everywhere.
    But like everything WWll they are getting bought up and becoming more collectable.
    As a young collector you should always remember that the cheap stuff rarely stays cheap.
    Nice find.
    Very true and these are a great item amongst the "bits and pieces" that make up the whole picture of the soldier.

They do still turn up on UK fairs often in boxes full of dozens that have lain in a cellar somewhere since the war and usually covered in a horrid mess of cosmolene which apart from some blackening of the metal has saved them.

What you have to look out for is that there are also a large number of Ex-Belgian Army items which are identical but unmarked that dealers try to sell as WWII (the type continued in service after the war) British items.

A good British one should be marked just like yours

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

CBH
    ?

There is also some confusion regarding the Canadian all metal clasp knife with many being made postwar and thus undated, these are often sold as wartime examples but as stated are not.
    I’ve been picking these up for the past few years when found cheap enough.
    Which is getting harder to find.

Dos
    ?

Nice pocket knife! I got a similar one, but Belgian made post-war as a gift from my brother for my birthday when i was little. I still have it amongst some other pocket knives.. A bit of a side collection.

Made for or by A.B.L (Armée Belge Belgisch Leger) Colasse ? in the year 1951.

-Dos

Last edited by Dos; 06-20-2021 at 10:56 PM.

?

Thanks for your guys additional comments! I wouldn’t mind getting more of the type in future. The guy I bought it from also had a war time naval one so if I go back for that eventually I will update this thread I reckon

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Thanks for your guys additional comments! I wouldn’t mind getting more of the type in future. The guy I bought it from also had a war time naval one so if I go back for that eventually I will update this thread I reckon
    The Belgian one shown by Dos is a good comparison because it has a marlin spike which a few British ones did have but I have only seen post-war items like that.

The Royal Navy knife is a bigger item and is serial numbered. They were discontinued in the late '70s - early '80s I think (not totally sure) and the blank space on one side is meant for the owners details though these are usually crudely scratched in if they are there at all.

The British Army stopped, re-started, stopped and re-started again about three times during my service.
    The earliest of the all steel knives had a marlin spike and the current issue item has a locking blade so that one is illegal for everyday carry.

Here's a pic of a few I have lying around (ask your old man I bet he has one somewhere with or without the spike);

L-R My first issued knife from the '70s (because of the stop start thing I ended up with one without spike too), WWII British Army, Royal Navy and generic WWI type (not issued but widely owned in the trenches) It has nickel scales on top of the steel.

These are all typical "soldiers kit" and seem to have an air about them far beyond what they physically are.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The Indian-made versions seem to have the marlin spike much more often than the British ones do. Though their overall appearance is much cruder, they’re appealing in their own right, and every bit as functional.

B.B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast