Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.

Article about: The sgian dubh originates as a small weapon usually concealed and as a small utility knife worn as part of traditional Scottish highland dress. In military units it has traditionally been ma

Default Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.

The sgian dubh originates as a small weapon usually concealed and as a small utility knife worn as part of traditional Scottish highland dress.
    In military units it has traditionally been made in regimental designs as with the dirk and is worn in the top of the highland hose (sock).

As with the dirk the sgian dubh has since Victorian times at least been worn/carried only by officers and regimental pipers in full highland (kilt) dress. This remains so today and typically the officers items are far more ornate and of higher quality (usually using solid silver as opposed to chrome or silver plate).
    Because they are worn next to the skin when tucked into the sock top most sgian dubh of any age tend to show considerable harm to the scabbard leather from sweat or skin grease etc ( yuk!) if they have not been properly cleaned before storage.

This one complements the A&SH dirk I posted recently being hallmarked for 1917. It is in really good condition for being over 100 years old.

The silver is very well preserved and the blade only shows a small amount of pitting on the reverse side. At some point someone, probably the person who woke it from hibernation, has applied sandpaper or similar most likely to clumsily clean light surface rust. However the residual scratches are slight and hard to see with the naked eye. The scabbard leather appears original and not replaced as is often the case because of sweat damage etc. The leather is very tidy and has no damage.

The stone is a generic Citrine which is very pale yellow unlike the Cairngorms (a darker Citrine from the Cairngorm Mountains) on the dirk in the comparison picture.

Given the condition and the date of 1917 I have the sad thought that this one may have belonged to a WWI casualty and ended up unused in a trunk or suitcase until disturbed many years later in a house clearance (I am the first collector to own it).

I always strive to collect the best pieces I can afford and unless I can find one with a 100% perfect blade (that hasn't been replaced) this one would be very difficult to beat!

I hope you like it as much as I do. All comments are most welcome.

Regards

Mark

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.   Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.  

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.   Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.  

Last edited by Watchdog; 02-07-2023 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

More pics;
    1. Comparison of generic Citrine and Cairngorm Citrine.
    2. Size comparison of dirk and sgian dubh
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.   Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.  

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

What a treasure, that is in remarkable condition. Congratulations
    Regards, Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    What a treasure, that is in remarkable condition. Congratulations
    Thanks Al, it is just the way I like them. There is enough wear to the silver to show the age but not detract from the definition, something which is virtually impossible to fake and the blade has just enough "lines on it's face" as well. The really amazing thing is the condition of the leather which has the right patina but otherwise not a mark on it. The fact that the citrine has not even a tiny chip (which very many of these do) yet does have the typical texture of age unlike an obviously new stone is a bonus.

Mark

CBH
    ?

A beautiful example of a sgian dubh, I’m chasing after an 85th Highlanders example a friend recently got. If I have any success I’ll be sure to post it.

Quote by CBH View Post
    A beautiful example of a sgian dubh, I’m chasing after an 85th Highlanders example a friend recently got. If I have any success I’ll be sure to post it.
    If memory serves that would be the Nova Scotia Highlanders would it not?

Hope you manage to prise it from his fingers! I'd love to seei t. What period is it from?

CBH
    ?

Yes a WW1 Nova Scotia unit, it’s not hallmarked unfortunately, so silver plate.
    I’ll get some photos either way and post them.
    Cheers

Another quality piece Mark.

What a wonderful addition to your collection Mark. Congratulations! Having family from both sides (Cameron’s and Leslie’s) that come from Scotland, pieces like this really resonate. A very interesting post!

Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    What a wonderful addition to your collection Mark. Congratulations! Having family from both sides (Cameron’s and Leslie’s) that come from Scotland, pieces like this really resonate. A very interesting post!

Andy
    I know what you mean Andy, I am a dyed in the wool 100% Lancastrian Englishman but I find that I have 33% Scottish DNA, bloody jocks get everywhere!

So, as to regiments related to those names;

Camerons is easy, most likely the relevant regiment would be The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders and the most appropriate tartan Cameron of Erracht

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.

Leslie is most likely Kings Own Scottish Borderers and Leslie tartan;

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast