Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Assistance with possible Australian Light Horse Calvary Sword

Article about: Gentlemen, I would appreciate your review and input of a sword I believe to be a 1908 Australian Light Horse Calvary sword I recently acquired. My research indicates the P08 mark indicates i

Default Assistance with possible Australian Light Horse Calvary Sword

Gentlemen, I would appreciate your review and input of a sword I believe to be a 1908 Australian Light Horse Calvary sword I recently acquired. My research indicates the P08 mark indicates it possibly belongs to that regiment. I have close up pictures of various maker marks on the sword. Any information would be greatly appreciated. As always, many thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with possible Australian Light Horse Calvary Sword   Assistance with possible Australian Light Horse Calvary Sword  

Assistance with possible Australian Light Horse Calvary Sword   Assistance with possible Australian Light Horse Calvary Sword  

Assistance with possible Australian Light Horse Calvary Sword   Assistance with possible Australian Light Horse Calvary Sword  

Last edited by Bencejones; 08-27-2022 at 07:59 AM.

The sword is a British (P 08) "Pattern 1908" (universal/general purpose) cavalry sword made by "Mole". The other markings - proof/other from that time period. The connection to Australia from the markings seen - unknown where that conclusion has come from. Best Regards, Fred

?

Cal·va·ry
    [ˈkalv(ə)rē]
    NOUN
    calvary (noun) · calvaries (plural noun)
    a sculpture or picture representing the scene of the Crucifixion.
    an experience of extreme suffering.

Cav·al·ry
    [ˈkavəlrē]
    NOUN
    (in the past) soldiers who fought on horseback
    modern soldiers who fight in armored vehicles
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thank you Gentlemen for the informative information.

Fed, in relation to your post, are you saying that the sword is not associated with Australia on the information you have seen?

"My research indicates the P08 mark indicates it possibly belongs to that regiment" no, that is its model number 1908. Its an English made sword, used mostly by the British. Unless its stamped to an Australian soldiers name or unit ie ALH then it must be assumed its British. They are often sold as ALH to embellish the price that can be three times higher than a non stamped. This particular sword was issued in 1912. Btw the ALH used these through to WW2. The Australian Light Horse was a mounted infantry unit of the Australian Imperial Force, not Cavalry, but did use these swords.

That works for me. With some British swords they can have multiple date stampings when they go through a re-inspection/proofing etc. process, as well as multiple unit markings. Best Regards, Fred

Thank you gentlemen for the information, I appreciate the background history of the item. In regards to why I assumed It was used by Australian forces, was in my last picture of the hand guard there is a faint Department of Defence arrow and some numbers under it. Unfortunately it has been painted over and I do not want to alter any further to expose it. Thanks again.

"in my last picture of the hand guard there is a faint Department of Defence arrow and some numbers under it." Dept of defence or just a broadarrow? The photos don't show any DD but rather a British Broadarrow. A Dept of defence broadarrow of WW1 will have a D^D not just an arrow
    Last edited by wizardman; 08-26-2022 at 03:15 AM.

Agree with other comments. I can't see a D^D mark, but if it was Aussie Light Horse issue there would be a "LH" mark as well. This was made/inspected July 1912. May be Australian service, but can't see the evidence yet.

Assistance with possible Australian Light Horse Calvary Sword
    Last edited by Anderson; 08-27-2022 at 07:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast