Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bayonet Frogs identification needed..

Article about: nope, if I was about to copy any bayo and accessories related to Britain &CO I would start by S. African items, as they are really scare. About to well made, I know a guy in Ukraine he e

NCA
    ?

Question Bayonet Frogs identification needed..

Could any members please identify these frogs i have.They are a bit out of my collecting range but they came with a lot so i'd like to know exactly what they are and what type of bayonet they held.Thanks.
    Bayonet Frogs identification needed..Bayonet Frogs identification needed..

From left to right the makers marks:#1, W.Andrews 1915 /I\55, #2, L.B.Joffe--Makers.Johannesburg Broad arrow inside a 'U', #3, Blackman--------ltd also ES 363.Frog is an off white colour feels almost like rawhide?, #4, H.Bachmann Freienstien.One inch wide belt loop and an impressed '+'.

NCA
    ?

Default Re: Bayonet Frogs identification needed..

The one on the right is for the STGW57 assault rifle bayonet.Swiss.One down!

The rest are British. The 2nd frog with the arrow in U. Ownership was Union of South Africa for a 303 and used by the Australian Light Horse and other mounted units and corps from what I understand.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

British ones are copies imo

NCA
    ?

Quote by ph3s View Post
    Care to elaborate on that please?Maybe the buff one but the other two?No way.

Quote by ph3s View Post
    I would agree with NCA, they look perfectly original to me too. What makes you think they are copies?

As far as identification goes, for the British ones, the brown one is a "Frog, Brown, Sword-bayonet, Mk II" and the buff one is a "Frog, Buff, Bayonet, General Service". The buff one has had it's buckle removed from the strap, which seems to have been a common alteration at some time, although I don't know when or why. They would have been standard frogs used with equipment sets that didn't have their own frog, such as the 1903 Pattern and 1888 Pattern Equipments. Both the 1903 and 1888 waistbelts were also used as 'dress' belts with these frogs.

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 07-06-2012 at 07:43 PM.

The Buff coloured frog is the Slade Wallace pattern leather equipment for the P 1888 bayo-used during the Boer War and other colonial campaigns of the late 19th-early 20th century.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The Buff coloured frog is the Slade Wallace pattern leather equipment for the P 1888 bayo-used during the Boer War and other colonial campaigns of the late 19th-early 20th century.
    I have to correct you slightly. There is no such thing as a Slade Wallace pattern bayonet frog.

"Slade Wallace" was the nickname given to the 1888 Pattern Valise Equipment (from the surnames of it's designers), but, as with all military equipments prior to the 1908 Web Equipment, it had no specific frog, and used whatever the current pattern was.

Rob

?

Quote by NCA View Post
    Care to elaborate on that please?Maybe the buff one but the other two?No way.
    the are in too good condition for something that age

NCA
    ?

New/old stock maybe..Its perfectly possible for old things to look as new.
    They are just far to well made for repros to me.As for copying the Johannesburg one?A bit random dont you think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast