Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Black Watch Sgian Dubh - Last pattern

Article about: I cannot date this item exactly but I would put it within the last few years before the Black Watch became part of The Royal regiment of Scotland in 2006 when they became 3rd Battalion (The

Default Black Watch Sgian Dubh - Last pattern

I cannot date this item exactly but I would put it within the last few years before the Black Watch became part of The Royal regiment of Scotland in 2006 when they became 3rd Battalion (The Black Watch) and began to use the RRS pattern insignia.

It is the same design as earlier types but is clearly of more modern materials.
    The blade is stainless steel and the fittings are plated brass rather than gilt.
    The handle is likely not Bog Oak but a commercial hardwood such as teak stained black (I don't know for sure but that is educated opinion).

The scabbard is still leather covered wood which whilst of modern production is clearly better than cheaper Asian copies.

The stone in the pommel is very rich colour which does seem to be of good quality.

The current RRS Sgian Dubhe which have improved in quality in recent years after the terrible early issues ar still not a match for this late pattern Black Watch piece.

Regards

Mark
    Black Watch Sgian Dubh - Last patternBlack Watch Sgian Dubh - Last patternBlack Watch Sgian Dubh - Last patternBlack Watch Sgian Dubh - Last pattern
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-06-2024 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Default Black Watch Sgian Dubh - WWI pattern

I thought it best to add this comparison here for ease of reference.

This is another from the same regiment but decades older being circa WWI or possibly older.

Whilst it is basically the same design which remained unchanged until the formation of The Royal Regiment of Scotland there are clear differences in the actual manufacture;

1. It is slightly larger overall than the latest type. This is likely due to the maker rather than any deliberate pattern change.
    2. The grip is of Bog Oak or possibly ebony. Seen side by side with the later piece the difference is obvious,
    3. The the grip is hand carved whilst the later type appears "machine assisted".
    The St Andrew figure is larger, differently positioned and better detailed. Looking closely the four pins at the ends of the cross securing the figure can be discerned showing through the gilt finish.
    4. The pattern of studs in the grip is slightly different.
    5. The throat and chape of the scabbard are engraved whereas in the later type they are not. There is also a makers name on the rear of the throat.

This is a very nice example with no damage and once the dirt and old oil was wiped from the blade in can be seen that there is only minimal pittingwhich is to be expected on an item of this age.

This "father and son" display very well together and give a tangible representation of the time line involved.

Regards

Mark

Black Watch Sgian Dubh - Last patternBlack Watch Sgian Dubh - Last patternBlack Watch Sgian Dubh - Last patternBlack Watch Sgian Dubh - Last patternBlack Watch Sgian Dubh - Last pattern
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-27-2024 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."