Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British No. 5 Jungle Carbine Bayonet by WSC

Article about: Hello everyone, Just received this WW2 period British No. 5 Bayonet for the Jungle Carbine made by Wilkinson Sword Company (WSC) and it looks like it just came out of the factory. The scabba

?

Default British No. 5 Jungle Carbine Bayonet by WSC

Hello everyone,

Just received this WW2 period British No. 5 Bayonet for the Jungle Carbine made by Wilkinson Sword Company (WSC) and it looks like it just came out of the factory. The scabbard is a Mk. I which is in pretty good condition but not as good as the bayonet. I've got a few No. 5 bayonets but never seen one as mint as this, especially a war time one.

Any comments welcome.

Alex
    British No. 5 Jungle Carbine Bayonet by WSCBritish No. 5 Jungle Carbine Bayonet by WSCBritish No. 5 Jungle Carbine Bayonet by WSCBritish No. 5 Jungle Carbine Bayonet by WSCBritish No. 5 Jungle Carbine Bayonet by WSCBritish No. 5 Jungle Carbine Bayonet by WSCBritish No. 5 Jungle Carbine Bayonet by WSC

The metal parts look refinished to me but wait for other opinions.
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    The metal parts look refinished to me but wait for other opinions.
    John

The blade does look great so congrats but 2/3rds of the bluing is gone. Is this typical of these? I don't study them.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

John to the best of my knowlege when these were refinished the blades were parkerised. The blade on this is mint and you can still see cross grain on it. There isn’t a scratch on the handle, cross guard or pommel so I don’t think it’s been reworked. There isn’t even a hint of patina which leads me to think it was made then forgotten about and remained in grease until very recently.

MAP the war time blades were made like this and I think the post war ones too. I think they were parkerised after being reworked.

Alex

There is something stamped under the WS in pic 3. I can only make out an 'LI' and the WS stamp looked to fresh. That is what lead me to believe a refinish. I could only find two images of others in this nice of condition which also made me suspect.
    John

I don't know about the bluing, but nice bayo. I've been saying for the last 20 years I was going to buy one for my No 5, hasn't happened yet.

?

Thank John, I do value your opinion. I've put it under magnification and the LI mark looks possibly to be a mark/scratch from the scabbard. Ive compared it to a reworked WSC that I have WSC No. 5 Mk. I bayonet for 'Jungle Carbine' The differences on the rework is the finish on the metal parts seems duller and isn't quite as consistent, there is remnants of the older finish on the press stud, the blade markings don't seem quite as sharp and the blade has been parkerised.

Theres not a great deal of information available regarding the reworking of these and by who or where it was done. You may well be right but all the reworked ones I've seen have had the blade finish changed. However it does concern me that there are very few examples in this sort of condition and if it's a fake, its a very well made one.

Alex

Not to be contrary but my sense of the current finish is painted possibly over something else. And I'm not really getting a good feeling about the Wilkinson markings. Best Regards, Fred

Not to be contrary but my sense of the current hilt finish is painted possibly over something else. And I'm not really getting a good feeling about the Wilkinson markings. Best Regards, Fred

Refinished or not, I would still like one for my carbine.