Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.

Article about: Here is my No. 5 Mk II bayonet. It is for the No. 5 Mk 1 Enfield rifle, known as the "Jungle Carbine". It was manufactured by Wilkinson Sword Company (W.S.C.). This is not to be co

Reibert you might be interested in this photo of New Zealand SAS troops in January 1955 during the Malaya "emergency"

In this thread:
    Lee Enfield No.5 MK1 Jungle Carbine.
    colleague Time bandit shows us another picture from this conflict.

Quote by Reibert View Post
    ... and that means for you now ?
    Possibly refinished.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Possibly

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Reibert you might be interested in this photo of New Zealand SAS troops in January 1955 during the Malaya "emergency"

Yes, a very interesting shot indeed.
    Years ago I had a beautiful "Jungle Carbine" with some of the green protective paint still in good condition.
    Unfortunately, I then sold this rifle to a collector because I needed money at the time. Today I am very sorry to have handed over this beautiful weapon back then! ...

?

Reibert, the bayonet looks original there’s just something with the blueing to my eyes. Perhaps photos in natural light may make a difference. To me the blueing looks possibly refurbed but the wood grips look worn so perhaps the blueing is just worn as well. Other refurbed ones I’ve seen have a grey finish on the blade rather than “in the white”.

Quote by Reibert View Post
    The green camouflage color is very nice, and at the same time intended as an anti-rust paint.

If I'm not mistaken, I should also have a No.5 bayonet with such a green anti-rust paint.
    Hi, Ralph,
    in #5 here in this thread you showed us your No.5 bayonet which has been given a green protective paint.
    Here I would like to show you and the other interested colleagues a No.5 MkI, Type II bayonet for the No.5 MkI Lee Enfield, MkI "Jungle Carbine", which was also given a green "rust color".

This No.5 I am showing is produced post WWII by the Royal Ordnance Factory in Poole, Dorset in 1947.

The No.5 rifle purposely made for airborne troops in the European theater of World War II.
    It shouldn't be a secret that the "No.5 Mk.I" "Jungle Carbine" was also used in Europe during the Second World War, at least immediately after its end in Europe.
    Such an "operation" is documented, e.g., during "Operation Doomsday" in Norway.

Despite its initial purpose, the No.5 carbine saw most of its service in post war colonial conflicts such as the Malayan Emergency.

Production of the No.5 bayonet began in March 1944, and finished in December 1947.
    Four companies were initially contracted to produce the No.5 bayonet.
    Wilkinson Sword Company, London made 188,354, Viners Ltd., Sheffield produced 42,000, Radcliffe made 75,000 and Elkington & Co. Ltd., Birmingham produced 10,768.
    An unknown, but smaller number were produced post WWII by the Royal Ordnance Factory at Poole, Dorset.
    Bayonets made at Poole in 1946 are said to be rarer than those made there in 1947.
    Source: the www.
    British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.

P.S.:
    A colleague of mine wrote to me a few years ago that after 1945 it was only the Royal Ordinance Factory in Poole that produced for the British Army.
    Plus Sterling Ltd. and the Rifle Factory Ishapore, India, who supplied it to the gun market.

This bayonet shows strong signs of wear and was, quite obviously, actually used in a military conflict.
    For me a real "front pig" which documents the "been there, done that" state very nicely.

Also interesting are the stamps (below the layer of paint), which are still relatively easy to recognize.

British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.

"A colleague of mine wrote to me a few years ago that after 1945 it was only the Royal Ordinance Factory in Poole that produced for the British Army."

Yes, that's my understanding as well. WSC (Wilkinson) production was all wartime (1944- 1945). Poole was post war, all production ending 1947.

I would like to show you another "Jungle Bayonet" here.
    I think it's original but refreshed/arsenal refurbished.

Manufacturer:
    Wilkinson Sword Company, London

Manufacturer code:
    S294
    W.S.C.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast