Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

British No4 Bayonet Help Please

Article about: I have not been able to make out the maker of this and what the significance of the green paint is. Post war applied is my opinion. The markings are difficult to make out under the paint, bu

Default British No4 Bayonet Help Please

I have not been able to make out the maker of this and what the significance of the green paint is. Post war applied is my opinion. The markings are difficult to make out under the paint, but I do not have another example like this one. The scabbard does not have any maker marks on the throat but is in good condition. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
    John
    British No4 Bayonet Help PleaseBritish No4 Bayonet Help PleaseBritish No4 Bayonet Help PleaseBritish No4 Bayonet Help Please

?

Hi John,
    Id like to help but using that red background just burns holes in my tired old eyes
    Cheers Rick

?

Hi John,

My 2 cents - top half is over stamped with what I think is MADE IN ENGLAND which would be that silly US import stamp requirement. I've never seen it on a No. 4 but I haven't looked for it. To me it looks like it was painted after that was stamped.

The only No. 4 Mk II* manufacturing logo that I am aware of that is within a rectangle is S376 which is the dispersal code for Lewisham Engineering Co. Im not confident but is my best guess.

Alex

Thank you for the information. Gives me better options to research. I read something long ago about the green paint. I thought it was applied by a specific country post war but cannot remember.
    John

?

There is a guy over here in Aus on Ebay I think selling unissued No4 MkII's in a factory green paint job.

I did see them a while ago , I will go back for another look.

Thank you Rick. I think that is the right track. I do not know if AUS was involved in Korea or if they were used there but it brings back some thoughts.
    John

PS. Apologies for the red but works for most items. Not so well for this one.

?

On internet:
    "Lewisham Engineering at 9 & 11 Malyons Road, Ladywell, London was the smallest company which made the No.4 MkII*bayonet. Between 1943 and 1945 they only produced 84.566 No.4 MkII* bayonets."
    Your is correct one, with upside down designation marking L.Eng / No4MkII* and S376 in box, as mentioned by Alex, same as Made in England is import US stamp, normally seen on these bayonets.

Thank you AndyB. Much appreciated.
    John