Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

British No4 Mk III Bayonet

Article about: I picked this up not fully knowing what it was beside a variation of the No4 bayonet. I could not find another example on this forum so I am posting as a representative example even though n

Default British No4 Mk III Bayonet

I picked this up not fully knowing what it was beside a variation of the No4 bayonet. I could not find another example on this forum so I am posting as a representative example even though not in the best condition. These were made by one maker and approximately 169,200 were manufactured by the firm of Joseph Lucas. Certainly not uncommon but this is the first I had noticed. These were very crude and made obsolete in 1946. All thoughts and opinions appreciated. Thank you for looking.
    John

British No4 Mk III BayonetBritish No4 Mk III BayonetBritish No4 Mk III BayonetBritish No4 Mk III Bayonet

Nice John! I’ve seen these quite a bit on eBay and what not. Don’t think I’ve came across one in real life. But this is one that is definitely on my to get list. Along with a Mk I but those are pricey.

?

Nice Example , yes they look crap but that's how they were made.
    Cheers Rick

?

Hi John

Not trying to hijack your thread but just thought I'd show a slightly clearer mark from the top along with a mark near to where the socket meets the blade which is on both of my mine.

If you're not aware your Mk.I scabbard is made by s.286 - Vanden Plas (Eng) 1923 Ltd. of Kingsbury Rd., London.

They are one of the ugliest bayonets I own.

Alex

British No4 Mk III BayonetBritish No4 Mk III Bayonet

Not hijacking Alex. Thank you for posting a very nice example, I did not know anything about them before buying and subsequently researching. Post mortem research on a cheap item is acceptable IMHO.
    John

?

Completely agree with you John. I keep finding No. 4 spikes for next to nothing and can’t help giving them a new home. I’ve got more than a few double ups on marks and makers not including the Mk. I. Surely one day they’ll dry up and be worth something.

When I began militaria collecting as a teenager I bought a No.4 bayonet as it was cheap, about $5. I showed my grandfather a WW2 RSM, he frowned and muttered "pig sticker! useless." He was a P1907 man through and through.