Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gordon Highlanders Sgian Dubh

Article about: I was lucky to find this one recently. A Sgian dubh (meaning black (as in hidden) knife to the Gordon Highlanders with silver mounts hallmarked for 1918 and the maker Thomas Ebutt. The engra

Default Gordon Highlanders Sgian Dubh

I was lucky to find this one recently.
    A Sgian dubh, meaning black (as in hidden) knife to the Gordon Highlanders with silver mounts hallmarked for 1918 and the maker Thomas Ebutt.

The engraved 'M' and 1918 date on the front make it personal and I expect that the date is the commissioning date of the owner whose surname initial was 'M' as I am not aware of any historical significance to the date itself.
    It is in excellent condition although the blade was very dark it turned out to be just old oil mixed with dirt and wiped of easily revealing just very light pitting.

It is identified as Gordon Highlanders because of the Acanthus leaf pedestal pommel which is peculiar to that regiment and is also a feature of the dirk of the Gordons.
    The comparison with an Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders Sgian dubh shows that the different regiments items were not all the same dimensions.

All comment and opinion is welcome.

Regards

Mark

Gordon Highlanders Sgian DubhGordon Highlanders Sgian DubhGordon Highlanders Sgian DubhGordon Highlanders Sgian DubhGordon Highlanders Sgian DubhGordon Highlanders Sgian DubhGordon Highlanders Sgian DubhGordon Highlanders Sgian DubhGordon Highlanders Sgian Dubh
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-13-2023 at 01:30 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

MAP
    ?

Nice
    Never seen one of these before
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Another very nice example Mark.

?

Great find as always, Mark! You must scour the internet and shops to find these rare items. I really appreciate the identification of the Regiment by the design of the fittings. Very impressive research and attention to detail!