Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with British Infantry Officer Sword dating

Article about: Hello, I am currently trying to date a sword I own. I know it’s Victorian era but I was hoping to date the sword a little more specific. I know the sword is marked C. Webb of London if tha

Default Help with British Infantry Officer Sword dating

Hello, I am currently trying to date a sword I own. I know it’s Victorian era but I was hoping to date the sword a little more specific. I know the sword is marked C. Webb of London if that helps with the date. The blade itself is also slightly curved. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with British Infantry Officer Sword dating   Help with British Infantry Officer Sword dating  

Help with British Infantry Officer Sword dating  

Well it's a Pattern 1854 Infantry Officer's sword, the outfitters firm C.Webb & Co were in business for 70 years until the 1890's, and these swords were made for a long time but, the patina and look makes me think 1860's.

It has Queen Victoria's cypher & crown, so any time from 1854 to 1901.

"It has Queen Victoria's cypher & crown, so any time from 1854 to 1901."

Oh I think we can narrow it down more than that. Actually the dating of British swords is often easiest through the retailer or outfitting firm than through the maker marks, if there are any. In this case the proof slug has the "proved" plus "dot" mark that is a generic slug where the blade makers are uncertain, what we can say is it's unlikely to be Wilkinson,Reeves,Pillin or Thurkle. The blade could be Solingen made.

As for dating, I've already given my opinion as 1860's and this is based on what we know of the retailer, C.Webb & Co of London. This was a firm of military outfitters who would supply/tailor officers uniforms and accoutrements, including swords. There are uniforms from the 1860's labeled "C.Webb". But by the mid 1870's the firm had become C & J Webb of London, father & son and this new name appears on equipment then sold, including buttons. The firm ceased business in about 1894. So with retailer name simply "C.Webb" we can be confident the sword was made before 1876. So a 20 year window is possible 1855-75 for the subject sword.

It might be possible I think to narrow it down a little more. Also thinking that it may be a Solingen blade, from what I can see this sword might have been a folding style hilt which are earlier, and more specifically as seen on an unnumbered Wilkinson "Patent Solid Hilt" folding example that also has a brass scabbard that is roughly datable. A slightly smaller but still full size factory sharpened folding hilt sword from Jones, London (but possibly German?) has a steel scabbard. Best Regards, Fred