Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying Fighting Knife

Article about: I have had this fighting knife for a while but have never been able to figure out what it was. It was owned by a relative of mine who fought in the pacific theater around the end of the war

Default Help Identifying Fighting Knife

I have had this fighting knife for a while but have never been able to figure out what it was. It was owned by a relative of mine who fought in the pacific theater around the end of the war (1944-1945).

To my uneducated eyes it looks like an M3 knife but I have never seen anything with a hand-guard like this. The scabbard also has the owner's name on it so maybe it was a custom piece?
    Does anyone know what it is or where I can learn any more information about it?

Help Identifying Fighting KnifeHelp Identifying Fighting KnifeHelp Identifying Fighting KnifeHelp Identifying Fighting KnifeHelp Identifying Fighting Knife

Welcome to the forum!
    It could be a theater made piece.
    Soldiers were well known for modifying their knives and such when the action was slow.
    Are there any markings on the blade?
    Wait for other opinions.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Certainly not a M3 blade! wish I could help more! MilitariaOne may chime in if you are lucky?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    It could be a theater made piece.
    Soldiers were well known for modifying their knives and such when the action was slow.
    Are there any markings on the blade?
    Wait for other opinions.
    Ralph.
    Unfortunately there are no markings on the blade. The only markings I can see are on the scabbard RJ Ghilain is the name of the original owner.
    There is some faint writing I can't quite make out on the inside of the scabbard as well but beyond that all I see is a "V" followed by a "...-" and a "SL"

And thanks for the welcome!

?

Welcome.

It look theater made, but with some skill. An interesting piece.

MAP
    ?

Theater made to me as well. Interesting how he used the snap off of a canteen or ammo belt.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The blade reminds me of an serbian M1899 bayonet ...
    Bayonets of Yugoslavia (1918-1990)

Greetings,

Can't add much new that has not already been said. The V and Morse Code for V = "V for Victory" a common Allied wartime theme. The "SL" may indicate the type of unit he was assigned to (though, nothing's coming to my mind here), Home Town's abbreviation, Wife's/Girlfriend's initials for luck, or maybe he was a Squad Leader (might help to share what he did or whom he was assigned to as that may be the missing clue). The knife itself, appears like the work of someone who had access to a machine shop, likely of US Naval origin (Ship board or possibly Seabees). Sheath reminds me of the leather sewing as seen on Boy Scout made wallets, cheap yet effective.

As an aside, because I have no clue as to your relative's service, I am always amazed at just who carried/requested such knives, because they are quite often carried by individuals not necessarily charged with direct combat with the enemy. As such, they are often pristine or show little actual evidence of being carried. Knuckle knives (which I am quite fond of) tend to be awkward and just plain heavy to carry. Once in hand, many are relegated to their owner's footlocker because for every day carry, there are far more weight friendly knives available (especially so if you are on a ship & unlikely to require the knuckles portion). Thank you for posting your knife and the allowance of my divergence in this paragraph.

Best,

V/r Lance