Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying Franch infantry Sword

Article about: Hi all folks I was hoping someone with some deep knowledge of French swords could help me out here. I have been thinking about buying a French 1831 infantry "cabbage chopper" sword

Default Help identifying Franch infantry Sword

Hi all folks

I was hoping someone with some deep knowledge of French swords could help me out here.

I have been thinking about buying a French 1831 infantry "cabbage chopper" sword - and I stumbled upon a gentleman at a militaria fair who has one for sale.

Thing is, this blade is unlike anything I have seen. I.e. the 1831 french infantry sword is a common enough blade, can find thousands of examples/picturs online, but the pone this gentleman is selling is extremely peculiar as it has a "double pommel" on the guard. I have literally spent hours browsing the web for examples/pictures or at least written report of another one like this, but to no avail.

I'd consider it a knock off , if it wasn't for the fact that apart from the double pommelt, this seem to have all the right markings where they sould be?

I am attaching a picture of this, so that you can have a look.

is this some sort of frankeistein sword by someone that decided to chop off two pommels from another sword and welding them onto this, or is this a genuine item, so scarce and rare that no other example can be found?

really appreciate any idea/suggestion/advice here, as I'm really not sure if I should quickly buy this one as its a rarity, or avoid like the plague as its someone's experiment?Help identifying Franch infantry Sword

thanks

"is this some sort of frankeistein sword by someone that decided to chop off two pommels from another sword and welding them onto this"
    Answer; Yes.
    The sword is a genuine French M1831 Infantry sword made by TALIBOT (Thiebaut), Paris, one of the French arsenals. Someone, sometime has literally added an extra scroll to the quillion. Is this modification rare? probably. Collectable; Probably not. But, suitable for kitchen use.

thanks for the advice!