Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife

Article about: Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife , this came in at the local Rubbish dump , the blade is marked with the maker JS and a crown and has what looks to be French metal tags attached to it

Default Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife

Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife , this came in at the local Rubbish dump , the blade is marked with the maker JS and a crown and has what looks to be French metal tags attached to it , Has anyone seen this type of knife before ? Thank you for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife   Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife  

Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife   Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife  

Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife   Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife  

Help needed with Unknown Fighting knife  

Hello,

To me, it looks like a WW1 era Belgian trench knife.

Mart
    Last edited by Martin C; 07-18-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Thank you

Seems like an authentic one. These were an official conversion from obsolete bayonet blades by the Belgium government early in WW1 which later continued in Britain. They were apparently still used by Belgium units into the 1920's.

Thank you for the information ,it always a surprise what people throw away

The design seems more than a little inspired by the medieval Rondel daggers.

Quote by Martin C View Post
    Hello,

To me, it looks like a WW1 era Belgian trench knife.

Mart
    Belgian 1916 pattern trench knife/dagger
    "loopgravendolk"

Belgian 1916 pattern trench knife/dagger

Nice save!!

I wonder how many guns, knives, bayonets, etc get tossed away each year from people that don’t want them (or don’t want others to have them).

I remember when I graduated high school... a friends father gave me an Arisaka rifle. He said the bolt didn’t work in the gun so he gave it to me. I remember that it had the monopod and the aircraft winds on the rear sight (two nice features). After about 5 years, I decided that it was “Junk” and ended up tossing it out because I couldn’t get the bolt to close. Ugggggggggggggggg ... if I only knew!

If only we had computers back then...