Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

How old is my ka-bar???

Article about: I was recently given this ka-bar. Any ideas as to how old it is? Thanks for the help

Default How old is my ka-bar???

I was recently given this ka-bar. Any ideas as to how old it is? Thanks for the helpHow old is my ka-bar???How old is my ka-bar???How old is my ka-bar???How old is my ka-bar???How old is my ka-bar???How old is my ka-bar???How old is my ka-bar???How old is my ka-bar???

?

Looking at the Tang Stamp or Logo
    This is the easiest way to find the age span of a KA-BAR knife. The company has changed the tang stamp many times over the years. Collectors consider these alterations to know the age of a particular knife.

During its early days of inception from 1897 to 1909, the stamps were “Union Cutlery Co., Tidioute, Pa,” “Union Cut. Co., Tidioute,” and “Union Cut. Co., Olean N.Y.”. The latter was first used in 1909.
    During the period 1912 to 1925, “Union Cut. Co.” was engraved in arc shape over the word, “U.S.A.” or “Union” was followed by “Stainless.”
    From 1912 to 1920, “Tidioute CUT. CO” in a straight line followed by “OLEAN, N.Y.” and “U.S.A.” respectively on a new line was a common stamp.
    From 1912 to 1930, “UNION CUTLERY CO.” in a straight line followed by “OLEAN, N.Y.” on the next line was common.
    During the years 1914 to 1926, the stamping of “UNION” in a round rectangular box was common.
    From 1920 to 1930, the stamp was in the form, “KEENWELL CUT CO.” in a straight line followed by “OLEAN, N.Y.” in the next line. From 1928 to 1932, “KA-BAR” followed by a model number featuring the date of manufacturing was common.
    From 1930 to 1940, this stamp was fully changed to “KA-BAR” etched in a straight line and “U.SA.” engraved below it.
    The knives made between 1935 and 1945 had a stamping of “OLCUT” after which “STAINLESS STEEL” or “UNION CUT CO.” and “OLEAN, N.Y” were written exactly below, each on a new line.
    From 1930 to 1945, the knives showed a stamping of “KA-BAR” followed by “U.S” below it.
    The period of 1930 to 1965 had the stamping of “KA-BAR” in a straight line and “STAINLESS” written below it.
    From 1950 to 1970, the stamping changed to “Kabar” ending with an unfilled star or just “KA-BAR”.
    Info / Image courtesy of Knifeguides
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How old is my ka-bar???  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Whats the picture on your wall ?
    Looks like a burning Aircraft Carrier .
    Cheers Rick

How old is my ka-bar???It’s a picture of the uss john f Kennedy doing a shock test in summer of 83’