Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

KA-BAR USN Mk2

Article about: Hello everyone, Here is another piece I found in one of my Grandfather's footlockers. USN Mk2 with personalized sheath. Anyone have further info they can share about this blade?

I originally said "I believe" the peened pommel would put in the WW II era, if I knew that for a fact, I would have said so.
    After looking at Wiki, it stated that the "peened" pommel was the first design, later replaced with a "pinned"pommel, that reaffirmed what I felt was correct.
    There is probably more information there than I could type to respond to your questions, hence my suggestion that you take a look.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Understood.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Well, I am certainly not an "expert", but I thought I would offer some help since no one else has offered any other information.
    I can't answer all of your questions without going and doing some research on my own.
    Wiki may not be 100% correct but, it does contain information that could be researched further, if you wished to do so.
    The members of this forum are not obligated to give you any information, they do so of free will, and a willingness to help other collectors.
    If you don't like what I have posted, it's simple, wait for someone with more info to "give" you.
    We are not an on demand service.
    Ralph.
    Where do your comments suggesting I expect people to "give" me answers and that I assume others are "obligated" to reply come from? I never said anything suggesting that I believed answers were "on demand".

Reread your post sir.

I apologized, will you?

Quote by Thistle51 View Post

I apologized, will you?
    I apologize for trying to help you learn about your items.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

the theater made sheath is killer!

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I apologize for trying to help you learn about your items.
    Ralph.
    Ralph,
    Let's make peace. I appreciate your help. I will try not to ask stupid questions. I don't want to make enemies.

Thistle

Interesting combination of the fat butt (pommel) and guard markings.
    In fact it shouldn't happen according to the regulations. Thick pommel was changed to thin one at beginning of 1944, producer's markings were moved from blade to the guard in the second half of this year.
    Stange, but one shouldn't say that it was impossible. Sometimes, producers utilized old stuff to finish the contract.
    Sheath definitively custom made.

I still believe the knife is period as well as a private made scabbard. I do not believe anyone can date that. Could even be Korean war era. I do not know.
    John

To my honest knowledge, production of MK2 knives ceased in 1945. So it should be definitively wartime item.
    I think that knowing the full name of Thistle's grandfather, would pass more light on it's origin - one could check it under the USMC or US Navy muster rolls (somewhere available online). If this man was enlisted during WWII or Korean War then everything is obvious - service (utility) knife issued to a Marine or sailor.

My Grandfather wasn't a marine. I've said enough on the forum for people to figure out who he was. I believe he traded for this knife at some point... most likely during the war, although it may be possible he acquired it after. Find out who was in command of Company D of the 70th Tank Battalion on D-Day and you will have your answer of who he was.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast