Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

L.F & C 1918 Trench Knife Mark 1

Article about: Hello all, Looking for any information that can be shared with me regarding this knife. Has anyone seen a scabbard like this?

Default L.F & C 1918 Trench Knife Mark 1

Hello all,
    Looking for any information that can be shared with me regarding this knife. Has anyone seen a scabbard like this?

L.F & C  1918 Trench Knife Mark 1L.F & C  1918 Trench Knife Mark 1L.F & C  1918 Trench Knife Mark 1L.F & C  1918 Trench Knife Mark 1L.F & C  1918 Trench Knife Mark 1

You probably already know, L.F & C stands for Landers, Frary & Clark.
    IMO, the leather sheath is home made, and, if it is metal lined, it is quite likely they just covered the original sheath.
    The knife looks good, other than the rough grinding.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    You probably already know, L.F & C stands for Landers, Frary & Clark.
    IMO, the leather sheath is home made, and, if it is metal lined, it is quite likely they just covered the original sheath.
    The knife looks good, other than the rough grinding.
    Ralph.
    Yes the sheath is metal lined

Thanks Ralph

So If I understand correctly, items are more collectable if they never saw action?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Thistle51 View Post
    So If I understand correctly, items are more collectable if they never saw action?
    Some people like items in new in box "minty" condition, while others like them with a bit of wear. Comes down to preference.

But as a general rule, condition always plays a role in valuation and collectibility.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Some people like items in new in box "minty" condition, while others like them with a bit of wear. Comes down to preference.

But as a general rule, condition always plays a role in valuation and collectibility.

Agree. I'd only add that for used items rock solid provenance to individuals, especially with in use period photos or personalization, can also command a premium and enhance collectability.
    Regards,
    John

Greetings,

The original issue scabbards for the Mark I Trench Knives were poorly designed and quite fragile to the rigors of actual field use. As such, by the time WWII rolled around, those that genuinely wished to lug these heavy knives on their hip; usually modified the knives by flattening one side of the handguard (so the knife lies a bit flatter against the body & therefore, more comfortably when worn) and made or had made a more user friendly scabbard. If you grind the blade down enough they will (eventually) fit into a WWII era's M8 Scabbard or too, with just a one side's flatting of the handguard the M6 scabbard.

On the knife you have posted/shared, one side of the handguard has been nicely modified to fit the custom made scabbard. That modification in the handguard has a decent patina indicating that this modification (i.e. bronze's cutting) was done long ago...how long ago is up in the air, but several decades IMHO (at least).

As discussed, the blade was sharpened by someone who was in a rush and that is unfortunate for its overall value. However, anyone interested in this knife would be more interested in the custom modifications/scabbard than the blade's condition. Before we go there, I don't provide valuations as we have enough "what's it worth" threads here without encouraging them (i.e. one & done posters) further.

I like your shared knife

Best Regards,

V/r Lance

Thanks for your input Lance. Any modifications to the knife/scabbard would have been done prior to my granfather acquiring it during WWII. This piece has been in a footlocker for the past 70+ years.

MAP
    ?

Lance and others can correct me, but I think the LF&Cs were used primarily in WW2 where the Au Lions were used more in WW1. As such, it would be possible, and maybe probable that you Grandfather modified or had it modified.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast