Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Late-war / late style garand bayonet??

Article about: Hello all, I’m helping an elderly friend sell bits of his collection to help raise funds for his ever increasing medical expenses and I need help identifying this bayonet. The grip and cro

Default Late-war / late style garand bayonet??

Hello all,

I’m helping an elderly friend sell bits of his collection to help raise funds for his ever increasing medical expenses and I need help identifying this bayonet. The grip and cross guard have the appearance of your standard M1 Garand bayonet, but the blade is shorter and thinner than what you would expect. It is in absolutely mint condition and was still wrapped in the brown wax papper.

I cannot find any stamps of markings whatsoever

What the heck is it?

Late-war / late style garand bayonet??Late-war / late style garand bayonet??

Hi,

It looks like a fine cut down Garand bayonet.

Here is thread with some information about these cut down bayonets.

US 1910 M1 Garand bayonet,UFH cut down for ww2?

Here is an interesting example which has been turned into a fighting knife.

WW2 M1 Garand Fighting Knife

I hope this is of some help.

Thanks for the help!
    I am pretty well familiar with the "Cut-Down" bayonets and this isn't one of them. It is even shorter than those modified for WWII and it lacks manufacturer stamps like almost all cut-downs have.

The width of the blade is even slightly slimmer.

Not to mention the one picture came still wrapped in the factory wax paper. I'm thinking this may have been the final iteration of bayonets before the M5 or M4 bayonets. I would love to be corrected though

?

Hi Mate,

Have you got measurements of blade ?

Cheers Rick

That one has been modified by the South Koreans. I've seen a few and none had any identifying marks. There was a flood of them in the mid-90s

?

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    That one has been modified by the South Koreans. I've seen a few and none had any identifying marks. There was a flood of them in the mid-90s
    Exactly

?

Hi Mate again,
    As much as I try to be of help and find a good match for you , on the blade , it isn't happening .
    It's not a M4 to M7 type blade as the initial quick look suggests it may be.
    And It's not a original blade that someone has butchered further either as that was my next thought.
    Compare with mine. What ever it is unknown to me.

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1470803

Attachment 1470804

Attachment 1470805

?

I was thinking the same as you mate initially , but I disagree .
    The blade height is too narrow , fuller length , Its just a made up piece I reckon out of something else.
    And a pretty bad job at that.
    What confuses me is that the OP says it came in mint condition wrapped in wax paper ??? Yeah right.
    Maybe another joke like Rene's DD SS helmet

Hey Rick. Its not a joke. And i would appreciate it if you didn’t assume I’m lying.

It sounds like Stinkpotpete may be on to something. Thanks pete. I know that there were thousands if not millions of M1 garands given to South Korea either during or just after WWII. I’ve read that they were using them even in the Vietnam war. So it would make sense that they would need bayonets for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast