Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Model 1917 CT Bolo

Article about: I have been looking for a bolo for some time. Although this one is not in ideal condition, I have settled. Markings are relatively hard to decipher, but enough is there to know this to be a

Default Model 1917 CT Bolo

I have been looking for a bolo for some time. Although this one is not in ideal condition, I have settled.
    Markings are relatively hard to decipher, but enough is there to know this to be a U.S. Model 1917 C.T. Bolo, made by Fayette R.Plumb St Louis. Most probably dated 1918.
    Notice the lack of sheath ‘release catch’ in the handle but still has a hole in the guard. As I can’t find any evidence of Fayette ever making these with sheath locks, does anyone know if they sourced the guards from Springfield?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Model 1917 CT Bolo   Model 1917 CT Bolo  

Model 1917 CT Bolo   Model 1917 CT Bolo  

Model 1917 CT Bolo   Model 1917 CT Bolo  

Model 1917 CT Bolo  

Default To make them interface with any model bolo's scabbard encountered.

Greetings Chris,

No, Plumb was a very large tool firm and they made their own bolos’ parts. While the Model 1917 & Model 1917 Commercial Tolerances (CT) bolos eliminated the handle’s push button catch, they had to keep the catch’s hole on the newer M1917 variants’ cross guards as many of the standard model 1910's canvas sheaths possessed catch's hooks in situ. By continuing to make the hole these newer bolos’ models still worked with those original M1910 canvas scabbards and were thusly, interchangeable with all of the scabbard variants on hand.

Here’s an informative thread, which is worth a read about these series of bolos. Difference between civil/army m1917 bolo? - EDGED WEAPONS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Best,

Lance

Many thanks Lance,
    That was an informative thread.
    Cheers

Thanks for the link.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.