Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My first Kukri

Article about: Hey guys.... Just got back from the Ottawa military show and picked this up. Not really my area of collecting, but I've always wanted one and the chap I got this from (Nick Healey) is a very

Default My first Kukri

Hey guys....
    Just got back from the Ottawa military show and picked this up. Not really my area of collecting, but I've always wanted one and the chap I got this from (Nick Healey) is a very well respected edge weapons collector.

Looks like this one would have been manufactured early in the 20th century given the way the blade was made (many more flaws in the steel back then). Whether or not it saw any military service in WW1 is unknown to me. It is unmarked.
    It is complete with the unsharpened chakmak and the karda. It also has the tinder pouch that actually contains old tinder wrapped in a hand made pouch (see pics). I thought that was pretty cool! If only this thing could talk.

I'm very happy with this one. I've always wanted one. If anyone can offer any other information on this particular example, please feel free.

Cheers everyone!

Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Kukri   My first Kukri  

My first Kukri   My first Kukri  

My first Kukri  

A detailed article on these can be found in this link.

The 20th Century British Military Pattern Gurkha Issue Kukri.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Anon! The gentleman that I purchased this from believes it is early 1900's or perhaps ww1 era given the construction of the blade and the lack of metal or brass fittings in the handle.
    That is a very detailed article with loads of information. Thanks for sharing that with me.
    Cheers!
    Rob

I like it
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks Chopperman.....I like it too. Such a great feel in hand.

Cheers!
    Rob

That is a nice one love the patina I have seen a few of them in the years but never owned one. I read a story in a book about Italy where the Kurkias of the British army used these effectively against the Germans that were on sentry duty or in foxholes pretty gruesome story. Nice find! timothy