MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Named WWII Randall Model 2-8"

Article about: I just got this Randall Model 2-8" dagger from my next door neighbor, whose uncle carried it during WWII. The sheath is made by Heiser. I basically got it with a few German daggers (wil

Post Named WWII Randall Model 2-8"

I just got this Randall Model 2-8" dagger from my next door neighbor, whose uncle carried it during WWII. The sheath is made by Heiser. I basically got it with a few German daggers (will be posted after a while) in exchange for some fence repair work. I'm in high school and am still relatively new to collecting, so I never expected to come across something this nice. I have done a bit of research on Randall knives, although I haven't found much information about model 2's (especially 8 inch versions) from this period, so I'm very curious about how rare it is. I'm not sure if anyone here knows much about Randall knives, but I'm excited to hear you guys' thoughts on it. Thanks in advance!

The knife was carried by Herbert Hart "day and night all through the war." He was a U.S. Army Captain in the field artillery, and fought in the Normandy campaign in 1944. I do have a scan of a period photo of him, although the knife is unfortunately not pictured.

It's a rare one and what makes it even better is you have info on who owned the knife and where it was carried.

That should be a prized possession and a life time keeper for you. It does not get much better than this.

Randall Made Knives still makes the model 2-8. You can contact them via their internet web site or use the phone number listed there to get more info on this model made during the WWII era. Someone there always answers the phone during business hours.

They should be able to tell you how many were made and may still have a record of the transaction to tell you more.

What a great gift you received!

Default A bit more about Herbert.

Agreed, what a great knife and I'd too happily work for such compensation. Here's his Find-A-Grave's page Herbert Dorlan Hart (1910-1994) - Find a Grave Memorial to which I have added your shared image, his BSM's Citation and obituary (both taken from Ancestry.com).

Best Regards,

V/r Lance

Conratulations on a great knife.
    WW2 Randall's are highly sought after. Anyone who collects military
    fighting knives would be proud have this one in their collection.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Great Attributed and very collectable knife. You can enjoy that for a lifetime. Enjoy this wonderful hobby.

Tim