Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No. 4 MkII* Spike Bayonet.

Article about: Yes, generally unloved and very common ( I bought my first one in 1972 for 50p ). Browsing last Sunday's Chatham Fair, my eye was caught by this one with an unusual-looking tubular steel sca

Arrow No. 4 MkII* Spike Bayonet.

Yes, generally unloved and very common ( I bought my first one in 1972 for 50p ).

Browsing last Sunday's Chatham Fair, my eye was caught by this one with an unusual-looking tubular steel scabbard. The bayonet is in nice order so bought it complete with scabbard and frog. OK, rather more than 50p but it still wouldn't break anyone's bank account.

Under the magnifying class at home there were some interesting markings so checked the British bayonets website referred to in other posts. 'L.ENG' is Lewisham Engineering, whose factory was set up in SE London on a bombsite in 1942 to manufacture spike bayonets. The tubular scabbard was made only by Franco-British Electrical Company of Temple Park, Hurley in Surrey ( identified by the 'S.191' mark on the scabbard base ).

I enjoy hunting out the stories of British wartime subcontractors - I may even add another spike or two to my collection....

Nice bayo. Not a maker I have seen before. Thanks for posting.
    John

?

Pretty cool example! I have been reading about spike bayonets recently. I passed on buying a desert camo version that exists a while back. I regret that now as I have recently found them to be very interesting!

I will throw this in for what it's worth!

I have a normal Spike for my No4 and a No9, I also have a nice Wilkinson sword 07 pattern for my SMLE. However when shooting them with bayonet fixed the No4 is absolutely usless. The ability to group goes out of the window and even at 100 Yds it looks like a mad womans shite, (military term). The SMLE on the other hand shoots beautifully with the 07 fitted and actually the weight helps by lessening the recoil and muzzel rise and I think makes it more accurate.

I have to say though My G98 with a Butcher Bayonet fitted is also bloody awful although my opinion of the G98 is not great in the first place.

What I would like however is a cruciform spike for my No4. I have 2 or 3 normal ones including a Long Branch one that matches the rifle, but the cost of cruciform ones seem to be very high at the moment.

Martin, if you are interested in some of the more unusual manufacturers of weapons during WW2 have a look to ROF Maltby who made the No4! A really interesting ramped up civilian factory converted for war work!

?

Cruciforms ones I think are faked quite often as well right?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    You are correct.

John

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Yep,

Apparently they are as bad as German Helmets or SS Daggers!

Lightbulb

I'll be steering clear of cruciform spike bayonets. I've had a look around various forums, and these seem to have been heavily - and in many cases convincingly - faked . Prices are horrendous too. As with SS helmets etc, I just don't have the necessary knowledge or inclination to risk serious money.

Luckily, my collecting focuses on NW Europe 1944, so I shall certainly be on the lookout for some more humble specimens.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    I will throw this in for what it's worth!

I have a normal Spike for my No4 and a No9, I also have a nice Wilkinson sword 07 pattern for my SMLE. However when shooting them with bayonet fixed the No4 is absolutely usless. The ability to group goes out of the window and even at 100 Yds it looks like a mad womans shite, (military term). The SMLE on the other hand shoots beautifully with the 07 fitted and actually the weight helps by lessening the recoil and muzzel rise and I think makes it more accurate.

I have to say though My G98 with a Butcher Bayonet fitted is also bloody awful although my opinion of the G98 is not great in the first place.

What I would like however is a cruciform spike for my No4. I have 2 or 3 normal ones including a Long Branch one that matches the rifle, but the cost of cruciform ones seem to be very high at the moment.

Martin, if you are interested in some of the more unusual manufacturers of weapons during WW2 have a look to ROF Maltby who made the No4! A really interesting ramped up civilian factory converted for war work!
    I'm sure the "mad womans shite" reference was from one Sir Les Patterson (only those of a certain age will even know who I'm talking about I expect).

My No4 MkII and a No 9 as well. The Spike is a Long Branch matching my No4 Rifle.

No. 4 MkII* Spike Bayonet.No. 4 MkII* Spike Bayonet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast