Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Possible Theater-Made Fighting Knife

Article about: I thought I'd share some photos of a knife that I recently purchased at an estate sale. I was late getting to the sale, so I was surprised to see that this item had been passed over. The lea

?

Default Possible Theater-Made Fighting Knife

I thought I'd share some photos of a knife that I recently purchased at an estate sale. I was late getting to the sale, so I was surprised to see that this item had been passed over. The leather sheath is what initially caught my eye. It seems very similar to WWII theater-made examples that I have seen online. Also, the knife is a re-purposed bayonet but I'm not sure what kind of bayonet. It seems too wide for Japanese and I can make out faint letters on the blade near the cross guard. Anyway, thanks for taking a look.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible Theater-Made Fighting Knife   Possible Theater-Made Fighting Knife  

Possible Theater-Made Fighting Knife  

Nice find. I can't help with what Bayonet it started as but it's cool none the less.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Thanks Chopperman!

Looks somewhat like a Japanese Type 30 bayo that has been heavily modified. The scabbard looks post war. Interesting post either way. Thanks for sharing.
    John

?

I like it

That is an eye catching knife, I'm not surprised you bought it. I agree at first glance it looks a bit like a Japanese type 30, but as you say the blade seems too wide for it to be. Could you give us some overall dimensions?

How about US M1898 bayonet as the source of the blade based on the shape of the fullers ?

?

Thanks for the replies guys. Richie, I bet it might be a modified U.S. M1898 like you've suggested. I've taken a closer look at the ricasso and I can see traces of letters or numbers but can't make them out. Could be date or Model but too small and not enough left to be sure.

The overall length of the knife is 12 and 1/2" and the blade is 1 and 1/8" wide. The fuller is 1/4" wide.

Tom