Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Scottish dirk info.

Article about: Hello Hope someone can help I’ve been told of a dirk that has a maker’s name of Cater with his correct London address on the blade but the silver mounts have the assay mark of Thomas Ebb

Default Scottish dirk info.

Hello

Hope someone can help

I’ve been told of a dirk that has a maker’s name of Cater with his correct London address on the blade but the silver mounts have the assay mark of Thomas Ebbutt. How is this possible please or is it an indication of a marriage?

Any comments would be appreciated

Thank you

John

Sounds like a non military version as sold by Highland outfitter shops. But I suggest you request a photo or two as that will greatly aid identification.

Thanks Anderson. If it was a dirk sold by a Highland outfitter shop am I right in saying Ebbutt would be the maker as his hallmark is on the silver and Cater bought it put his mark on the blade and then sold it, rather than Cater making it because if he did it would have to be his hallmark on the silver?
    Would this be a normal sequence of events please? I’m sorry for being so ignorant but I know little of the manufacture and retailing of these weapons.

That could be possible. Private purchase swords for example would have a outfitter name and address on the blade (such as in Pall Mall), but the maker could be Mole of Birmingham. But you need to ask for photos.

Thanks. I’ll request some photos as you suggest.

yes photographs are essential for any accurate assessment for sure. What I would say is that Thomas Ebbutt was a Scottish silversmith who made the silver ornaments for such items and also Scottish regimental badges as well as civilian silverware. The company did not make the blades and I am unsure whether they actually marketed the completed dirks. Most likely that was a company such as Wm Anderson of Edinburgh (Now Kinloch Anderson) etc who were/are Highland outfitters. Cater of course might actually be the retailer who had the blade marked which would not be totally unusual. The company Thomas Ebbutt continued in business until the late '70s when it was bought by Hamilton & Inches who continued to use the TE mark until at least 2000. I believe the TE mark registration may still be valid so whoever owns the rights could still use it.

I don't recognise the name Cater as a cutler or swordsmith. What is the "Correct" address you mention? Companies House will help with that.

I hope this is of some help but as Anderson says; pictures, pictures, pictures, every time!

Let us know how you get on but in the meantime I look forward to the pictures.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Many thanks Watchdog very helpful.
    Attached some photos.
    Cater is shown as Sword Cutler residing in 56 Pall Mall 1899-1911 ref in book Swords and Sword Makers of England and Scotland by Richard H. Bezdek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scottish dirk info.   Scottish dirk info.  

Scottish dirk info.   Scottish dirk info.  

Interesting as the "famous" Wilkinson sword cutler was also in Pall Mall around then.

The assay mark is for Edinburgh 1911 and from what I have gleaned from a cursory look is that Cater was still trading at that address then but seems to have moved to 62 Pall Mall around 1918.

As Peter (Anderson) says I think this is a civilian dirk as I can not see in these pictures any symbology pointing towards a particular regiment.
    If you do secure it better pictures of the ornaments might give more information.

My preference is for regimental items but this is still a very nice piece for a blade collector I think.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

It's a quality dirk, somewhat tarnished but could be revived with careful restoration. As Mark says, a civilian dirk but still very collectable. Very likely (as Mark points out) made around 1911. The style is very much what developed in the 19th century, but I'm curious if there is a "cairngorm" stone on the top of the pommel?

Sorry only photos I’ve got.
    Thanks everyone for your comments much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast