Miro-militaria.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seeking Opinions on Camillus Knife Please

Article about: Hello everyone, I'm hoping I can get some information and opinions about this fighting knife. I've done some background research and I believe it to be a late WWI MK 2 fighting knife with ap

?

Default Seeking Opinions on Camillus Knife Please

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some information and opinions about this fighting knife. I've done some background research and I believe it to be a late WWI MK 2 fighting knife with appropriate period sheath. I'm not sure about the applied insignia.....cavalry? Could this be period or post war? The seller identified it as a Vietnam knife but the insignia look older that that to me. The overall condition of the knife does not look too bad but I believe the cross guard is a little bent on one side.

The seller is asking $199 but would probably accept in the $150 to $175 range. Is this piece too questionable, or in too poor of condition, for that price? Thanks for your comments!

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seeking Opinions on Camillus Knife Please   Seeking Opinions on Camillus Knife Please  

Seeking Opinions on Camillus Knife Please  

I believe that the knife and sheath are ww2 vintage.
    If memory serves, Camilus marked it's Vietnam knives on the blade and
    Vietnam era sheaths had only 7 rivets.

Hope someone with a bit more expertise can confirm this.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Thanks Chopperman for your comments. It's interesting how the pakerization on the blade is worn off about half way but at least blade is not ground down. The insignia on the sheath is interesting.......wonder if it could have belonged to a soldier in the First Calvary and was applied in the field?

Tom

I don't know enough about these knives to comment but the brass crossed flags is a British (or Commonwealth) trade badge for a signaller (worn on the jacket sleeve in varying postions according to regiment and exact role/qualification) it is approximately WWI period.

I cannot see sufficient detail of the crossed swords but it is likely a PT instructor trade badge of the same period.

These attract prices in a mere two figures in either £ or $.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    PS I can't speak for the US Army but in the British Army such embellishment is uncommon and falls into the description of "frippery". Most likely a post-service addition.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-23-2020 at 10:05 AM. Reason: add info
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thank you Mark. Your information is very helpful and I appreciate it.

Tom

?

Looks like a ww2 set, any pics of the top of the handle?

?

Sorry, I should have but did not.

What do you think about the insignia and when it may have been added?

Tom

Quote by hftiii View Post
    Sorry, I should have but did not.

What do you think about the insignia and when it may have been added?

Tom
    As I said from these pics the badges look OK but adding them to the sheath like this just seems "un-soldierly" and could have been done anytime from the date of the knife until today.

It could have been done by the owner in service but I doubt it. I don't think a combat knife would be embelished in such a way let alone with anything shiny by a soldier during field service.

Just my opinion of course but myself as a soldier would blacken, silence or muffle everything in the field even to the point of greasing zippers!

Personally I wouldn't do it after service either!

The so called "hate belts" (goodness knows why as they usually have friendly unit badges on them) were always war "souvenirs".

Regards

Mark

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks Mark. Good information and excellent points. I've passed on buying it. Too much embellishment on an otherwise good piece.

Tom

MAP
    ?

The embellishments don't bother me. Although they do hurt the value. These insignia have been on there a long time. I think I see green verdigris on it. I would say it was done very soon after the war by the vet. I've seen this done before and even on holsters of Vet Bring Back P-38's/Lugers.

Proving anything of course is another thing but I find it less likely it was done by someone else. Maybe he used it as his hunting knife?.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast