Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Show your WW2 Kukri

Article about: WW2 dated or attributed Kukri’s are relatively scarce, I’m lucky enough to have three plus a bone handled kukri that was allegedly from WW2. The two ‘41 dated kukris were brought back

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Thanks for the link to the website that does give me some more information. And raises some more questions as well because some of the details are difficult to see (this is NOT a complaint as I'm very grateful for the help). The Kukri I saw had brass fittings and used a peened ferrule at the end of the tang. The leather hanging attachment had about seven or eight rows of eyelets and there was no evidence that there was ever a metal end fitting for the bottom of the scabbard. The small accessories were also IMO exceptionally well made with the thickest sharpening steel that I think I have ever seen. I also found another reference for the Kyber knife in the book by Hughes, Jenkins, and Buerlein in the miscellaneous section as figure 11-5. There was also a sword that was very different from any that I have seen previously. That being a mid-19th century British light cavalry officer's sword by Wilkinson - but with an Indian style Tulwar blade. Best Regards, Fred
    It could be the MkII version, I know that they had a brass butt cap and a peened end, this is the first thing that I look for wean I go to possibly buy one (but I have not had any luck with it).

Looking through my past bookmarks I also found 20th Century British Military Gurkha Issue Kukri article update 2015 | BladeForums.com. Also a lot of good info and pictures, sorry I didn't find it when I searched my bookmarks the first time.

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    It could be the MkII version, I know that they had a brass butt cap and a peened end, this is the first thing that I look for wean I go to possibly buy one (but I have not had any luck with it).

Looking through my past bookmarks I also found 20th Century British Military Gurkha Issue Kukri article update 2015 | BladeForums.com. Also a lot of good info and pictures, sorry I didn't find it when I searched my bookmarks the first time.
    First, I want to Thank You for going to the extra effort to provide some additional information. The link was very helpful. I don't remember seeing any markings on it so I'm inclined to believe that it was not a government purchase. As for provenance my recollection is that I was told that it was that it was given to a neutral (Swiss ?) official that might or might not have been a civilian assisting the British in Burma at (or after) the end of the war. Of course at this point that cannot be proven, but I did not sense any "shading" of what I was told. Next I think will be be having a good camera with me if and when I have an opportunity to take a closer look. Best Regards, Fred

This is an old Kukri I inherited. It has marking suggesting it saw use in the US pacific theater.
    The blade has on it the words "Tempered Steel" "Made in India" and it seems to look sim
    The scabbard has a list of places as well as the years 1944-1945 and the owner's first name Ray.
    Here are all the places listed:
    China
    Burma
    India
    Australia
    Fiji
    Siam (Maybe?)

I don't know much about WWII Kukris but I am hoping to learn more!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your WW2 Kukri   Show your WW2 Kukri  

Show your WW2 Kukri   Show your WW2 Kukri  

Show your WW2 Kukri  

Default Here’s mine

I pick this up at a local swap meet. I traded a handful of nazi mess utensils. It’s made by Rawalpindi Pakistan.Show your WW2 KukriShow your WW2 Kukri

- - ------- - -

Unfortunately It didn’t come with a scabbard. Vince

Quote by knivesAndSwords View Post
    This is an old Kukri I inherited. It has marking suggesting it saw use in the US pacific theater.
    The blade has on it the words "Tempered Steel" "Made in India" and it seems to look sim
    The scabbard has a list of places as well as the years 1944-1945 and the owner's first name Ray.
    Here are all the places listed:
    China
    Burma
    India
    Australia
    Fiji
    Siam (Maybe?)

I don't know much about WWII Kukris but I am hoping to learn more!
    I have found this site which might be of some help, particularly this comment:

Once again those marked Allied Steel or Tempered Steel , Made in India are from around or after Indian independence in 1947.

3. The MK 3 (WW2 - Post). | Heritage Knives

I managed to pick up a period frog for one of the kukri’s. It’s possibly field made as it’s made of very thick leather and held together with split pins.
    As with all frogs obtained separate from the kukri and scabbard it is difficult to date, however, it was clearly very old, dirty and hard when I got it. I’ve cleaned it and softened the leather and it fits the scabbard very well.
    I think the belt loop is just wide enough to fit a British webbing belt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your WW2 Kukri   Show your WW2 Kukri  

Show your WW2 Kukri  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2