Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Thomas Kerr Ebbutt Dirk

Article about: Hello, I kindly and deeply ask for your help to identify this dirk. 44 cm long.

?

Default Thomas Kerr Ebbutt Dirk

Hello,
    I kindly and deeply ask for your help to identify this dirk. 44 cm long.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thomas Kerr Ebbutt Dirk   Thomas Kerr Ebbutt Dirk  

Thomas Kerr Ebbutt Dirk  

Well you've identified the maker already. I would think this is a late Victorian perhaps early 20th century Dirk. But it interestingly is not typical of that period in that the hilt is not the Thistle style grip that became popular in the 19th Century. This grip harks back to the 18th century style with the carved Celtic interlacing knot work. In the late Victorian period a basketweeve style grip with silver tacks becomes common. On the pommel I presume there is a jewel Cairngorm, can't see from the photo. Other parts are typical 19th century style Dirk. I like it, it's a quality made piece.

?

Thank you for your answer it helped me a lot. On the pommel there isn't a jewel Cairngorm. I 'll attach some photos so you can see the pommel better. I would be grateful if you could tell me an aproximate price in your opinion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thomas Kerr Ebbutt Dirk  

Quote by Ianis View Post
    I would be grateful if you could tell me an aproximate price in your opinion.
    I am sorry, we are not a free evaluation service.
    We are happy to help you to determine authenticity of your items but we do not give values as they are very suggestive.
    It may be worth more to some than it is to others.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I like it more with the traditional pommel cap. Sorry no valuations.

?

Thank for your help. I colect Romanian daggers and this is the first highland dirk that I bought. I didn't want my question to sound like I was asking for free evaluation. I paid for it five hundred without knowing what it was ( or if it was original) just because I liked it (the fork and the knife )). and I was courious if it was a good price or not. Best regards, Ianis.

Happening upon this thread I have a few questions about an interesting Dirk that I encountered recently. Sorry for no pictures at this time if I'm remembering it correctly it's an issue item by Mole, with an etched blade with no eating accessories, that I believe from the crown on the pommel is Victorian? Is it a Piper's Dirk? Best Regards, Fred

Well it could be Fred. Was it marked "Robert T Mole & sons" and also had inspection marks? Photos would help.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Well it could be Fred. Was it marked "Robert T Mole & sons" and also had inspection marks? Photos would help.
    Anderson, I can't take any photos of it right now, but your suspicions were right on target. I don't recall if it had the full name or not, but there was a Robert or abbreviation for same. And it had government inspection markings with what I thought was exceptionally well done etching on the blade. Along with polished steel scabbard mounts, and brass(?) round headed nails in the hilt with a nickel silver(?) lower grip fitting. The pommel cap being polished steel, my guess was that it was probably from sometime in the Victorian era. Would that be accurate? Best Regards, Fred

Inspections marks indicate military contract, but these usually had the Queens crown on the pommel cap. The full name, rather than just "Mole" suggests an earlier Mk1 "Piper's dirk". We can date the dirk roughly by the inspection marks. Most likely 1880-1890's. When you can get some photos I'm sure we can narrow it down. Regards A.