Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

US M1917 Winchester

Article about: I acquired a really nice example of a Winchester made M1917 bayonet. Winchester produce far fewer bayonets than Remington. The scabbard has suffered from poor storage and the maker of the sc

Default US M1917 Winchester

I acquired a really nice example of a Winchester made M1917 bayonet. Winchester produce far fewer bayonets than Remington. The scabbard has suffered from poor storage and the maker of the scabbard is too hard to read. This one was produced for US production and not for the P14 rifle as it lacks any British proofs or additional markings from the US. This bayonet was made for the US M1917 rifles as well as trench shotguns of the era. The M1917 style bayonet continued use for the US through the Vietnam war for the shotguns.
    John

US M1917 WinchesterUS M1917 WinchesterUS M1917 WinchesterUS M1917 WinchesterUS M1917 WinchesterUS M1917 Winchester

A very nice example.

MAP
    ?

Nice piece. I always here these referred to as Shotgun bayonets.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Originally fitted for the British P14 rifle and then the US M1917 rifle, secondary the shotguns fitted their bayonet lugs to fit.
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Originally fitted for the British P14 rifle and then the US M1917 rifle, secondary the shotguns fitted their bayonet lugs to fit.
    John
    Yes. Agree.

I should have been more clear. I usually hear these referred to as trench gun bayonets which I suspect is to make them sound more "cool"

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I've always liked the look of a trench shot gun with the bayonet affixed.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I've always liked the look of a trench shot gun with the bayonet affixed.
    Yes. Awfully intimidating! I had the opportunity a few years ago to pick up a beauty of a trench gun. Passed on it. Kicking myself now.

I stand corrected on my comment about these with the leather being sold as "trench gun bayonets". It was actually the plastic scabbard versions used in WW2 for shotguns. Whether this "collector tale" I've been told a few times is true....I do not know. But I got one of each just in case! LoL

US M1917 Winchester

US M1917 Winchester

Very nice collection Map! The bottom bayonet shown is for the US 03 rifle.
    The leather scabbards were used in WWI for the P14, M1917 and trench shotguns. The plastic scabbards were indeed WWII production for the same guns. Another run of plastics scabbards was made for Korea and Vietnam era's without any production data. There were additional M1917 bayonets produced in the Vietnam era.
    John

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    ... The M1917 style bayonet continued use for the US through the Vietnam war for the shotguns.
    John
    Also in Korea AFAIK !

P1917 shotgun bayonet in NAM ?
    US M1917 WinchesterUS M1917 Winchester