Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

USA WW1 fighting knife or is it?

Article about: Hello Hope you’re all keeping well and safe. I would appreciate your opinions on the photos attached on whether the knife is genuine or not please? I’m no expert and the knife was left t

Default USA WW1 fighting knife or is it?

Hello
    Hope you’re all keeping well and safe.
    I would appreciate your opinions on the photos attached on whether the knife is genuine or not please? I’m no expert and the knife was left to me by my elder brother.
    Any comments would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    JohnUSA WW1 fighting knife or is it?USA WW1 fighting knife or is it?USA WW1 fighting knife or is it?USA WW1 fighting knife or is it?USA WW1 fighting knife or is it?

Always going to be a special item from your brother. I'm no expert either, but given that you have the knife and also the scabbard, which looks good from your photo, I think it may be original. But the trench knife experts will be along shortly.

Default IMHO real, but too, really beat.

Greetings,

While I have never (ever) viewed an L.F.& C.'s handle that possessed those casting flaws in the ends of the knuckles before, I do believe it is an original knife and scabbard pair. On balance, there's more "right" with those knuckles than wrong with its casting's flaws. While a gift from your brother and priceless because of that connection, this example is well worn and below average in condition.

The easiest way to determine if a knife is a reproduction/new creation is to view similar new made examples. If this handle was a newly made copy (don't kid yourself, there are folks who can patina anything), I have not viewed an example of one before....hence, my belief that it is real and not a "part's kinfe" (i.e. where new and old parts are mixed to deceive).

Best Regards,

V/r Lance

The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.

Thanks BlackCat1982 and MilitariaOne for your replies, much appreciated.