Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Utica M4 Bayonet - My Latest Addition

Article about: Here is my latest addition to my collection . While M4's are dime a dozen to get hold of cheap for my US brothers over here i can only source what is available in the local home market . Mos

?

Default Utica M4 Bayonet - My Latest Addition

Here is my latest addition to my collection .
    While M4's are dime a dozen to get hold of cheap for my US brothers over here i can only source what is available in the local home market .
    Most are petty well in very poor (stuffed /rusted ) condition if they are WW2 issue .
    So I am very happy to be able to secure this one for my collection.

US M4 Utica , has the Standards Products 1st type butt plate ( Note the hot peen )
    Cross guard is very very slightly loose due to leather shrinkage , but that's ok with me.
    Some wear and deterioration to leather and spacers.
    Blade is good , i like it very much , hope you do as well.

Beckwith M8 Scabbard with M8A1 mod.
    Marked under throat B 1/6 N for those like me that are interested in that marking stuff.

Im very happy with it.

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1409019

Attachment 1409020

Attachment 1409021

Attachment 1409022

Attachment 1409023

Attachment 1409024

Attachment 1409025

Attachment 1409026

Attachment 1409027

MAP
    ?

A nice honest example. Congrats

While they might be easier to find here, they aren't always cheap. As a kid I could buy them for next to nothing
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Very nice Rick.
    Honest wear to the blade and a great looking M8 scabbard.

Looks like it has been used and not abused

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Hi Rick,

I might be wrong but the back cut of the blade seems a little off to me. I think WW2 era bayonets should have a backcut that's closer to 90 degrees. Yours has a long sloping backcut which looks more like an M7 blade. With the cross guard loose, I hope its not a put together, however the pommel looks right.

Bayo Points 13

Alex

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Hi Rick,

I might be wrong but the back cut of the blade seems a little off to me. I think WW2 era bayonets should have a backcut that's closer to 90 degrees. Yours has a long sloping backcut which looks more like an M7 blade. With the cross guard loose, I hope its not a put together, however the pommel looks right.

Bayo Points 13

Alex
    Hi Alex,
    Thanks for your concern , It must be an optical illusion at your end .
    It's not "off" at all . There is nothing wrong with it at all.
    Cheers Rick

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Hi Rick,

Yours has a long sloping backcut which looks more like an M7 blade.

Alex
    Hi Alex,

Yes , you made a good point as to how it may appear , but it is a longer blade than the M7 .

Let's compare to one of my M7's

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1409102

Attachment 1409104

?

Rick,

To avoid any confusion this is what I refer to as backcut on your bayonet:

This almost 90 degree type of backcut is the only one that I've encountered on M4's with leather grips:

As to the length of the blades in total, worldbayonets.com has them both at 171mm.

I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert and I can only go off what I've seen and read. I say this with sincerity - it's your bayonet and all that matters is that you're happy with it.

Alex

?

Hi Alex,
    I welcome and appreciate your input , I see what you are pointing out and it warrants further investigation.
    Raises more question than answers.
    I will measure it up later today and let you know.
    Cheers Rick

Something is off with this blade. The peen is also off. Looks like a cold peen and not a hot peen with starburst.
    The pommel has been removed and washers applied and re-peened IMHO
    John

?

Well Alex & John were right in there summation of this blade.
    I knew it was too good to be true . I had my beer goggles on lol , and couldn't see properly.
    I always wanted a good one of these for so long it wasn't funny.
    Thanks Guys , even after all these years you still learn something new that I never paid any attention to before in the past.
    After more investigation and once I got over that sinking feeling in my guts that Id done my dough .
    I put it to the seller straight as a fact (not a maybe) that it was a dodgy blade not original to the M4.
    To my surprise they came back straight away offering me a full refund , or half price off if I chose to keep it.
    Im sending it back tomorrow.
    I owe both of you some beers for the get out of jail free card your help offered me
    Cheers Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast