MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Wooden handled Fairbairn Sykes knife

Article about: I am aware that there is a bit of conjecture about these knives about whether they are wartime or post war, however, from what I have read I believe that the current thinking is that they ar

Default Wooden handled Fairbairn Sykes knife

I am aware that there is a bit of conjecture about these knives about whether they are wartime or post war, however, from what I have read I believe that the current thinking is that they are late war, possibly private purchase or RAF issue. There is also a view that they were for the tropical climate of the Far East.
    This one has clearly been stored somewhere damp for a few years as it is a little rusty in places and the wood has split, however, it is stable. The scabbard is clearly field made from scraps of leather (possibly a belt or horse tack) and is ‘sewn’ together with wire.
    My personal view is that they are late war production, possibly made with wooden grips to speed construction or to cut down on metal use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wooden handled Fairbairn Sykes knife   Wooden handled Fairbairn Sykes knife  

Wooden handled Fairbairn Sykes knife   Wooden handled Fairbairn Sykes knife  

Wooden handled Fairbairn Sykes knife  
    Last edited by Grimebox; 09-11-2020 at 02:27 PM.

I like it
    The two so-called experts that I rely on both believe in the RAF connection.

BTW-- nicely done photos.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.