Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WSC No. 5 Mk. I bayonet for 'Jungle Carbine'

Article about: Hello everyone, Been on the hunt for one of these for a while and finally got my hands on this one. WW2 production Wilkinson Sword Company No. 5 Mk. I 'Jungle Carbine' bayonet with 1945 mark

?

Default WSC No. 5 Mk. I bayonet for 'Jungle Carbine'

Hello everyone,

Been on the hunt for one of these for a while and finally got my hands on this one. WW2 production Wilkinson Sword Company No. 5 Mk. I 'Jungle Carbine' bayonet with 1945 marked frog. It has been post war refinished but is in almost mint condition.

I don't know much about frogs and would appreciate if someone can confirm its all good.

Now I just need to find a nice S294 marked scabbard.

Any comments welcome.

Alex
    WSC No. 5 Mk. I bayonet for 'Jungle Carbine'WSC No. 5 Mk. I bayonet for 'Jungle Carbine'WSC No. 5 Mk. I bayonet for 'Jungle Carbine'WSC No. 5 Mk. I bayonet for 'Jungle Carbine'WSC No. 5 Mk. I bayonet for 'Jungle Carbine'WSC No. 5 Mk. I bayonet for 'Jungle Carbine'

I'm not really up on frogs but it seems fine compared to the P44 ones I do have. Nice bayonet too, I really like the No.5 bayonets, pleased I've got a couple, just wish they were a bit cheaper and I might get a couple more!!

The frog is fine.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Forgot to add...

I think it's proper title should be No.5 MKII Bayonet, I think the No.5 MKI was the name give to the very first (and very rare!!!) type which used the single screw in the grip and the type with the two grip screws (which most are) was the No.5 MKII. That's what I understand it is anyhow but I'd wait until someone confirms that before taking it as gospel...

?

Thanks Time Bandit and Ade for the replies.

Someone else has mentioned that these are called Mk. II. I checked Skennerton's British & Commonwealth Bayonets book and he refers to the single screw as Mk. I, early model and the two screw as Mk. I. I guess they were just considered a manufacturing alternative and not assigned a new pattern in the List of Changes.

I've been half looking for one for a few years but Time Bandit, your last few No. 5s were what rekindled my interest in these. Im happy to give your S294 scabbard a new home

Alex

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Thanks Time Bandit and Ade for the replies.

Someone else has mentioned that these are called Mk. II. I checked Skennerton's British & Commonwealth Bayonets book and he refers to the single screw as Mk. I, early model and the two screw as Mk. I. I guess they were just considered a manufacturing alternative and not assigned a new pattern in the List of Changes.

I've been half looking for one for a few years but Time Bandit, your last few No. 5s were what rekindled my interest in these. Im happy to give your S294 scabbard a new home

Alex
    Yeah, thinking about it I've a feeling I did see something somewhere that it did keep the MKI designation. I think the scabbards did have a MKI and MKII version, older steel throated type were the MKI and the later brass throated ones were the MKII?

I asked my scabbard if it fancied moving to Oz but it's not so keen on the snakes and spiders over there so wants to stay here in the cold and wet UK!
    I did see another S294 scabbard recently (on an L1A3 bayonet) but it was battered to buggery so not worth getting.

Theres a guy on an Australian Military collectors Facebook site that has 60 of these, he sells them for around $500 each, he did have some real mint ones

?

wizardman, the scary thing is that these days $500 for a mint No. 5 bayonet isn't too far off the mark.