Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 British Officers Sword with 1 inch ruler calibrations on blade

Article about: Hi Guys, I have this sword coming up in my September sale. It is by Wilkinsons. I have never seen this blade style before, so I don't think is it common? Cheers, Ade.

Default WW1 British Officers Sword with 1 inch ruler calibrations on blade

Hi Guys, I have this sword coming up in my September sale.

It is by Wilkinsons. I have never seen this blade style before, so I don't think is it common?

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British Officers Sword with 1 inch ruler calibrations on blade   WW1 British Officers Sword with 1 inch ruler calibrations on blade  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

That's interesting. I wonder if there was a specific purpose, or if it was just a general purpose yardstick?

A Pattern 1897 with a depth gauge. I can't say I've seen something like this before. Maybe some chap had them engraved so his batman filled his bath to the correct depth.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    A Pattern 1897 with a depth gauge. I can't say I've seen something like this before. Maybe some chap had them engraved so his batman filled his bath to the correct depth.
    I've never seen that before either but it is apparently to measure length or maybe depth of "penetration"? So, could it relate to some kind of training or testing procedure?

Another thought is that it is possibly a "one off" commissioned by the original owner for some unknown reason unique to his circumstances now lost to time.

When I was an instructor of basic recruits I had made a simple copper tube with brass knobs brazed on each end which was marked in exactly this way and was kept highly polished and used to measure the accuracy of each recruits folded bed layout for inspections. Could this be something along those lines and used in measuring positions in sword drill or adjustments in ceremonial equipment etc?

Who knows? Certainly an intriguing item with definate if very obscure reason behind it. I would love to know and I am sure somebody does.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

You may be on to something there Mark. Hopefully it relates to sword drill and not bed sheets! Colonel Fox's sword perhaps?

WW1 British Officers Sword with 1 inch ruler calibrations on bladeWW1 British Officers Sword with 1 inch ruler calibrations on blade

I've never seen a comparable set of markings on a sword before myself (knives for underwater diving being another matter). An approximate date from the number on the back of the blade might help here to see if that provides a clue. Best Regards, Fred