Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Gurkha Kukri

Article about: I got this Kukri today having 'exchanged' it with a friend for half a dozen of my chickens finest eggs. Not a bad deal! The handle was wrapped in layers of masking tape which had obviously b

Default WW2 Gurkha Kukri

I got this Kukri today having 'exchanged' it with a friend for half a dozen of my chickens finest eggs. Not a bad deal!
    The handle was wrapped in layers of masking tape which had obviously been on there for some time and I was quite surprised to find the bone handle underneath. I've given it a clean up and light rubbing down and it has come up quite nice. What makes it interesting is that on the scabbard written in pencil is a name, which unfortunately I can't decipher (although looks possibly Nepalese) and the date 1942. The scabbard also has a lightly embossed '7'.
    Unfortunately my friend had no history on the knife, he was given it a few years ago.
    Given the bone handle and the fact that the blade is unmarked I guess that it is a period private purchase / souvenir. Either way it goes nicely with the 1944 dated Royal Artillery, 12th Army battle dress blouse I picked up recently.

Default Re: WW2 Gurkha Kukri

The pictures to go with the thread!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Gurkha Kukri   WW2 Gurkha Kukri  

WW2 Gurkha Kukri   WW2 Gurkha Kukri  

?

The Kukri could relate to the 7th Gurkha Rifles who were in Tobruk 1942, North Africa 1942, Cassino 1944, Pegu 1942, and in Burma from 1942 until 1945, its a nice piece

This is one of only two large size Kukri's I've seen with a white bone handle.
    The other was purchased by a friends father in India in the 1930's.
    Very nice knife.........!
    Regards,

Steve.