Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?

Article about: Hi all- I have recently stumbled upon this 1929 shashka that (if real) is a model I have never seen. Have you guys heard or seen a short version of a shashka? Also, is it real? I primarily c

Default 1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?

Hi all-

I have recently stumbled upon this 1929 shashka that (if real) is a model I have never seen. Have you guys heard or seen a short version of a shashka?
    Also, is it real? I primarily collect helmets and medals, so I know next to nothing about shashkas, but I have always wanted one since my great-great-grandfather was a Baikal Cossack during WWI and the Russian Civil War. Personally, I don't feel good about this Shashka, but of course, I would like to hear your 2 cents.

Thank you all for your expertise and help, I do greatly appreciate it.

1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?
    Last edited by PapaStalin1943; 02-20-2020 at 03:56 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?
    P
    Many

This is more like a Kindjal Cossack knife than a Shashka sabre

However many Russian soldiers did adopt the Shashka from the Cossack's and adapted them

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hello,

I'm far to be an expert of these, but in my opinion it could be an original one, shortened. I will look in one of my books about russian sabers to check the markings (they changed a lot during the years)...but I have a good feeling about this one.

But: without solid informations about its provenance, I think it will be very difficult to determine if the modification was made on the field during ww2...or by someone many years later. On the other hand, if the price is sweet...

Best regards
    Gabriele

Hi- so are you guys saying that this may have been (if real of course) a Shashka that was shortened/modified by a soldier on the front? Because I was thinking the same thing, but then didn't know for sure. Also, Are the markings good according to your book? I hope I don't sound like I'm rushing you as that's not my intent

Lastly, what would you say is a good price for it? I know that this forum is not to be used as a price guide, but just curious as to what you would personally consider a good price for it.

Thanks again to both of you, and I my regards.

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    This is more like a Kindjal Cossack knife than a Shashka sabre

However many Russian soldiers did adopt the Shashka from the Cossack's and adapted them

Nick
    That's funny Nick because as soon as I saw this and before I scrolled down past the initial post my immediate thought was "Kindjal" although an actual Kindjal is quite different in appearance beyond length and gerneral configuration. It just gives that impression.

The marks look good to me but then so do the marks on most of the fake Shaskas I have seen.

Whether this is a fake or an orignial one thing is beyond doubt to my eyes. It has been shortened from a longer blade with the point being re-shaped and the cutting edge roughly ground probably with a rotating grind stone. Definately not factory done. So, my money is on the field conversion and on balance of probablility an original Shaska to begin with.
    The question is all about when really.

Was it done by a soldier for military use or was it done later by a farmer for cutting baling twine and gutting pigs? All a bit subjective I suppose without provenance and perhaps photographic / annecdotal evidence of such modifications done by troops.

An interesting piece either way.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Although this is subjective, I think it may have possibly been used by a partisan. My thinking is that the shortened blade would help better conceal the weapon. This is definitely a far stretch, but who knows haha

Update: I got it for an amazing price! When it arrives I'll take some nicer and closer up pictures when it arrives. After reading all of your suggestions about the Shashka, I feel more confident about it.

So I was doing more research and it seems as though it's common to see a shortened Shashka, as there are examples of shortened/modified Shashkas dating all the way back to Worl War I, as apparently some soldiers would cut down their Shashkas into a knife so then it was easier to do things in the trenches (it was more practical), like cutting a piece of food, or cutting pieces of wood for... anything. I will post pictures of other examples I've found.

1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?

I found an image of what seems to be a Company of Cossacks, and there's a cossack who's Shashka is shorter than the ones around him, and although it isn't as short as the ones posted above, it still goes to show that they did modify them. (I put a red arrow next to the guy so you know which one I'm talking about... you can also click on the image to open it in a new tab so it's bigger and you can make out the details.) Furthermore, there has apparently been evidence of these short Shashkas being used by soldiers during WWII in battle, as a member of the ww2.ru forum says that some short Shashkas have (allegedly) been dug out of the ground. I will provide an image of the paragraph that the member wrote. Another person said, in response to someone asking about their Shortened Shashka, that (if I read correctly.. I'm still learning how to read Russian and, for now, I can only speak Russian and read a bit ) his Shortened Shashka was a partisan version that was used to be concealed from german police (I am not sure about the concealment part, I may have read that part wrong). I will also take a screenshot of that post and put it on this thread, but both posts will be in Russian.

1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?
    1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?

So today was finally a nice enough day for me to go and take some quality pictures of the Shashka outside. So, without further a-do, here is my modified Shashka in hand! Let me know what you guys think about it

1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?1929 Shashka... that's been shortened?
    Last edited by PapaStalin1943; 03-16-2020 at 03:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast