MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)

Article about: Rob; OK, I see now. Yours is what is known as a "Simplified Manual Aiming Circle". It requires line of sight, that is to say that the operator of the device must be able to see the

?

Question 1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)

Hello,

recently I bought this unknown item. It is Russian period made (1943) and come with genuine issued hessian cover. I assume that is sort of aiming circle in simplified version. Please let my know your thoughts. I also showed this one on another forum but still nothing...Hope You Guys can help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)   1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)  

1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)   1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)  

1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)   1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: 1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)

that is a very interesting something ) , whatever that is ...

It is not an aiming circle, in the normal sense of the word. I have a 1944 mortar platoon aiming circle, and it is tripod mounted. This is a hand held device of some sort. This does not have compass markings, as it doesn't go that high. It does seem to have luminous dial markings, so it was clearly intended for both day, and night work.

The one picture you show, where you have it aimed at a drawing of a house, you are aiming it backwards, as the V notch would be to your face, and the point would be on the target.

I see that there is a knurled knob, on a threaded post. If loosened, what does it do? IE, does it allow the face of the dial to be turned?

I also note that there are two loops on the bottom. These may be to allow some sort of a strap to place it around your wrist, so as to prevent damage if accidentally dropped.

However, what it IS for, I am not certain.

Boridin

?

"This does not have compass markings, as it doesn't go that high."

Thank You boridin for your input but actually it goes! You can easy note directions on the top plate after translation. I received some informations form Member of another forum ( BIG thank You Valter!):

C (S) is for "sever" (north), other marks are (partially faded) YU for jug (south), B (V) for vostok (east) nad 3 (Z) for zapad (west).

And the grades are not degrees, but thousand-parts (don't know how it's in english, a value of 1/1000). It's supposed to be mounted on a pole stuck in the ground and it's used for aiming and syncronizing mortar (light gun) detatchment. We used a very similar device in Yugoslav and Slovene army, every mortar detachment commander had one and a pair of pickets (red-white metal poles for marking aiming point).
    Regards, valter

I found some new materials about this compass. Accordingly to the opinion of some collectors these were used by Red Army recon troops. As far I can remember I saw them on display in museum in Kolobrzeg. Anybody own pictures of these?! Any help appreciated!

Tovarischi;

I have attached pictures of a standard Red Army aiming circle. I do not doubt Grubhy, that the device pictured above is a manual aiming circle, but the pictures below are of the one in my collection.

Just as an FYI, the term for the graduations of 1/1000 of a circle is "Mils". A declinated mil compass is the most common tool used for laying, and aiming any artillery. All these other devices only improve the gunners odds of a "first shot on target".

Here are pictures of a P A B-2 aiming circle, with the ANB-1 Azimuth finder, and the carrying cases, and tripod assembly.

Boridin

?

Thumbs up Re: 1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)

Thank You!

Till now I seen only drawings:
    Attached Images Attached Images 1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?) 

Quote by grubhy View Post
    Thank You!

Till now I seen only drawings:
    Grubhy;

Actually the device you have included a picture of, is the Range Finder, not an aiming circle. They would be used in conjunction with each other, but are not the same tool. I also have a range finder.

Boridin

?

Thumbs up Re: 1943 dated Soviet made ...Aiming circle (?)

Hello Boridin!

I enclosed that pic partially by lack of knowledge partially by concurrence of parts and shape. Compass needle, degrees circle, needle blockade screw and some other are present in both, what is more in my opinion both looks very similar when upper part with optic from enclosed range finder, is removed. Why I mention that? I heard that name of my item is ‘Simplified artillery aiming device’ and that was introduced in 1943. When I get home at evening I’m going to add this materials here.

Thank You for your help and effort Boridin!

Have a good one Guys!

Grubhy;

I apologize if you thought that I was impugning you. I fully realized that you were unaware, and that was why I gave you the correction. I have also started a new thread on Range Finders, and included pictures of mine, for your comparison.

Thank you

Boridin

?

Boridin nothing wrong has happened! Thanks again for your input, here are materials, pages from this manual:

This from pages enclosed (range finder or aiming circle? how to call it properly) has similar constuction to mine but shape is different. My item ( what ever it is) has similar or even same function but looks less sophisticated.

I cant speak Russian ( I wish to...) so assistance higly aprreciated. Maybe we will be able to find out what it is

..and yours Boridin:

Thank You in advance for help!

Robert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast