Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Army/Navy gas mask

Article about: Hey guys, I bought this gas mask for 5 dollars at my local surplus. They got a big shipment in of new old stock, so I bought a few. In original packaging, with carry bag and filter. Cool gas

Default Army/Navy gas mask

Hey guys, I bought this gas mask for 5 dollars at my local surplus. They got a big shipment in of new old stock, so I bought a few. In original packaging, with carry bag and filter. Cool gas masks. I didn't have one, and it was 5 bucks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Army/Navy gas mask   Army/Navy gas mask  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Army/Navy gas mask
    P
    Many

Default Re: Army Navy gas mask

any factory mark or year of production stamped in the bag and the mask ??

Default Re: Army Navy gas mask

Give me a second....inside of the bag it is marked 5125 and here is a pic on the gas mask....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Army/Navy gas mask  

Default Re: Army/Navy gas mask

thank for the extra pics

Pierre

Is that good?

yes ,i ask to you for compare my example , i have one , not the same pattern green color( modern ) may be 1980 -1990,

That is a post war GP-5

...but well worth $5.00 USD!

Boridin

Quote by RedHorseman25 View Post
    That is a post war GP-5

...but well worth $5.00 USD!

Boridin
    I must have missed this thread, but Boridin is correct Its a Russian GP5 in white, these also came in black. An extremely common type of gas mask due to it being the most produced type of gas mask ever. The peak of their production was during the cold war where massive stock piles of these masks were created, probably a lot more than required. Completely useless nowadays though, unless you are putting together a costume. However there is some debate about the filters on these masks though, and some tests carrier by a collector collegue out on this type of filter show it to be potentially dangerous.

Thanks

Danny

Dangerous as to what extent?

Heres a quote from my collegue following his examination of several GP5 Type Filters.

"Gas mask filters, can contain easily detectable, measureable amounts of lead. Which can cause lead posioning, and central nervous system damage."

This isnt the only danger, all expired filters which yours most certainly is should under no circumstances be used due to the fact that over time the filter materials degrade, meaning that small particles can break of components such as filter paper and be inhaled, when these particles reach the lungs they tend to stick to them and remain there for quite some time. Similar to what asbesto's does.

Thanks

Danny