Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

infantry shovel 1940?

Article about: Hello, Original? Copy? What do you think?

Default infantry shovel 1940?

Hello,
    Original? Copy?
    What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images infantry shovel 1940?  infantry shovel 1940?  infantry shovel 1940?  infantry shovel 1940?  infantry shovel 1940? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement infantry shovel 1940?
    P
    Many

I have not come across such a stamping before. Looks too modern to me, especially after the new black paint.

Hello,

Looks like an original to me, pre war pattern, "Komintern" plant.

I'm not sure about the handle, maybe it was refurbished. I don't see the point in making reproductions of these shovels, there are a lot of them

Best regards
    Gabriele

Default Komintern entrenching tool

The entrenching tool (малая пехотная лопата) seems original to me, only I think it was refurbished.
    Attached some photos of a "komintern" entrenching tool from 1938.
    In the photos you can see that the metal part of the entrenching tool is originally coloured green with the black protective layer over it. This black protective layer served as protection during storage. It is not a coat of paint and it can be easily removed.
    Should it be important, the weight of the entrenching tool (without cover) is 1.02 kilograms.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture infantry shovel 1940?   infantry shovel 1940?  

infantry shovel 1940?   infantry shovel 1940?  

Nice shovel.
    It's refurbished as said, but in a neat way.

@Asjemenou
    Great e-tool! Thanks for sharing.

?

it is a good one. most Reinactors use SWEDISH shovels I beleave? as stated there are so many post war ones on E-BAY why fake it?

Where there is money to be made stuff will get faked, same goes for shovels.
    I still am not certain on the date stamp. Stands out too much and is not like other datestamps I have seen on shovels. Shovel is indeed wartime with postwar repaint. When postwar? I have no idea but I would expect if it is an old repaint I would see green paint underneath, like the one from Asjemenou. To me it looks like a more recent repaint.
    I have several originals myself, of which one also black with green paint underneath.

All that said, to me this is a good shovel, with modern repaint and questionable datestamp.

Default Komintern entrenching tool

In my opinion the entrenching tool of Blackbaron is an original production from 1940. Also the figures in the date looks good to me. Especially when I compare the figures 1 and 9 with the figures on my komintern entrenching tool.
    Only the blade of the shovel has been repainted. Why?
    Maybe to reissue the entrenching tool (during the cold war period)?
    For example, US WWII dated M1943 entrenching tools were also used in the post-war Dutch army. In a Dutch army duffel bag from the 1980s, you could also find an US M1943 entrenching tool that is dated 1944.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought these shovels are all painted black because of postwar refurbishment. Almost all WW2 weapons have been refurbished, taken apart, wood gotten a new paint/lacquer before being put together again. The shovels have gone through a similar refurbishment postwar to have these in good shape for later use. This also explains why the majority of shovels are found with this black paint.