Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find

Article about: Hu guys, I would appreciate your help in identifying parts from tanks and other Soviet era vehicles that were found in in our research area in Porkkala S. Finland. The large Soviet military

Jan
    ?

Default Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find

Hu guys,

I would appreciate your help in identifying artefacts and parts from tanks and other Soviet era vehicles that were found in in our Cold War Conflict Archaeology research area in Porkkala S. Finland.

The large Soviet military base was in use between 1944 and 1956.

Best,

Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 04-14-2024 at 09:54 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

Here we go,

Find number 1.

All opinions welcome.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find   Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find  

Jan
    ?

Seems I cracked this one myself The hoop is from a ZIS-5 (ЗИС-5) which was a 4x2 Soviet truck produced by the Moscow ZIS factory from 1932 to 1948 (the first one was made at the end of 1930).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find  

Jan
    ?

Find number 2

A track link that i believe to be from a T-34?

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find  

Jan
    ?

Another question that I hope somebody knows the answer to.

Soviet twisted and broken aluminum spoons are quite common finds in the survey area. According to local people these were so called "Goodbye to the military service!" artefacts meaning that by tradition Soviet soldiers broke and threw away their spoons after having finished their military service. I was hoping someone could maybe share their thoughts about this and verify the hypothesis.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find   Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find  

Jan
    ?

Another personified one with a makers mark.

Best,

Jan

Jan
    ?

And a few more maker marked spoon handles and other items...

Best,

Jan

Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find   Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find  

Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find   Need help on this Cold War conflict archaeology find  

Jan
    ?

More spoons and other stuff today although the weather was far from perfect. This years excavation season will start on May 4th 2024.

Best,

Jan