Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Ammo Box

Article about: Just picked up this wartime metal ammo box for the Maxim, DS-39 and SG-43 machine guns Handy item to place some of my ground dug stuff in Nick

Default Soviet Ammo Box

Just picked up this wartime metal ammo box for the Maxim, DS-39 and SG-43 machine guns

Handy item to place some of my ground dug stuff in

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Ammo Box   Soviet Ammo Box  

Soviet Ammo Box   Soviet Ammo Box  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Ammo Box
    P
    Many

Makes a superb display item!

Just needs a Maxim Machine Gun

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Ammo Box   Soviet Ammo Box  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very artistic and beautiful items!

Took the time to make a pic from my box. It has a 1944 dated belt inside but unfortunately the canvas strap is gone.

Soviet Ammo Box
    Soviet Ammo Box
    Soviet Ammo Box

I think these are just interesting things in themselves. Probably because of the embossed star.

I have one for a DP28 complete with magazines but I can't see any markings. How can the date/period be indentified? Is it just down to design/pattern or should there be markings. Mine looks old and is very much period style but as we know Soviet gear right up to the early 90s looked very much like wartime stuff.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I have never seen markings on these and I think the design from pre-war through the war years into the postwar years didn't change at all. Like with many Soviet items a lot were refurbished postwar, getting new paint and new leather straps replacing the canvas straps when and where needed.
    The ammo belts themselves were marked, like mine is 44 dated.

Thanks Marcel. That is pretty much what I thought. I don't rember checking the magazines but I expect they are dated but that doesn' speak for the box. I must dig it out from the bottom of the heap as I think it might have a canvass strap.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."