Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 mask

Article about: Hi. My first post on the forum, so please do not judge strictly. I don't speak English, I use a translator, so some phrases may seem strange to you. Ask any clarifications in the comments. F

?

Default Unknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 mask

Hi. My first post on the forum, so please do not judge strictly. I don't speak English, I use a translator, so some phrases may seem strange to you. Ask any clarifications in the comments.

For more than 10 years I have been studying the topic of Russian and Soviet chemical defense, from the time of the First World War to the present.

A search through the forum revealed many blind spots in the history of Soviet chemical defense. Of course, I really like Dimas's posts, a lot of great material about masks and filters, but there is something that needs to be clarified.

Let's start with the most little-known WW2 Soviet gas mask, about which I could not find information on the forum - called O-11 (Obrazets-11). This is one of the rarest models of those years. For a long time there was no photo of the surviving copies, only at the site of the battles several masks of an unknown type were dug out, which did not even have a name. This situation remained a mystery until 2012, when scans of the 1941 chemical protection manual were accidentally found, where the name of the mask was revealed. However, it remains only to speculate about its true purpose and production dates.

In 2014, a forgotten box was accidentally found, where filters from the mid-1930s - early 1940s, as well as about 20 masks, were piled up. This is the only known fact when this model was found not during excavations, in a warehouse condition.

Over the years, a little less than 10 pieces have visited my hands, I know the owners and keep records of them. 2 masks ended up in a private museum of the siege of Leningrad in St. Petersburg, where I helped to collect the exposition. There is a video where Putin walked past this stand, I wonder if he liked it?
    But jokes aside ...
    Unknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 mask
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 mask  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 mask
    P
    Many

?

Few people know, but during the Second World War in the Soviet Union there were a huge number of different models of chemical protective equipment, for example, about 6-7 different types of gas masks, many of which were very outdated and repeated the design of the British masks during the First World War. The main concept for the development of Soviet gas masks of the 30s and 40s is the quick repair and replacement of mask parts, as well as lightening the weight and size of the filters.

The most modern at the beginning of the war was considered a set with a ShM-1 mask and an MT-4 filter. You can write a separate material about ShM-1, since there were several varieties under the general name (I did not find any mention of them on the forum). But this mask was full face, covering most of the head and ears, which was not quite suitable for radio operators and equipment operators who used headphones.

Unknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 mask

?

In 1935, the O-8 mask appeared - the first half mask in the USSR with head straps. In 1937, an improved version of the Mod O-8 was released, which was produced until 1940.

In 1939, a new ShM-1 mask appeared, designed to replace the old models of full-face masks developed in the second half of the 1920s. References can be found in the literature that full face masks were considered safer and that the straps required a more precise fit to ensure proper sealing. In 1940, production of the Mod O-8 was discontinued. However, there was a need for a model with straps instead of rubber, because sometimes the ears must be open to work with headphones and some other devices.

Unknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 mask

?

Further, only my conclusions - O-11 is made on the basis of ShM-1, uses a similar valve system and the shape of glasses. On the other hand, the shape of the rubber is very different - since it is a half mask, the rubber is able to thicken (like Mod O-8) to maintain a certain shape of the face and not be too soft. The rear straps are very similar in their scheme to those in civilian gas masks during the war - GP-1/2, but the O-11 straps are thicker and made of much more reliable materials (the model is army, and the GP was made semi-handicraft from available materials, if the topic of civilians is interesting gas masks, a separate large post will be interesting).

If the ShM-1 was produced from 1939 to 1945, then all the O-11 samples found are dated 1941, even those dug out on the battlefield! Given their colossal rarity, the conclusion suggests itself - this model remained small-scale (some collectors dare to call it experimental, but I do not believe in it), and due to economy of materials it was discontinued at the beginning of the war. Straps - an additional complication of construction and fabric consumption, as well as metal fasteners - metal was then in short supply. Many people know about the bags of gas masks with wooden adjustment that appeared in 1941 (yes, not in 1942!), As well as the absence of buttons and their replacement with wooden fasteners - one of the facts of saving metal in wartime.

Here is a photo of O-11, taken today specifically for this publication.

Unknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 mask

?

How about equipping the mask, which filter and bag should be included? This is not recorded anywhere, the famous masks were found without a set and they can be selected to the taste of the owner. It is logical that the same modern filters should be suitable for the O-11, which are also suitable for the ShM-1. These are MT-4 and MO-2, bags of the 1940 model (like a bag of 1936, but without side pockets) or 1941 (with a wooden belt adjustment). There is one photograph from the battlefield, which shows an O-11 with an MT-4 (see the beginning of the post).

If we talk about the option for the crews of equipment, including tanks and aircraft, then there should be an L-3 filter (produced from 1939 until the end of the war), a lightweight version of the MT-4, which has smaller dimensions, weight and temporary protection is reduced by 40% ... It is this filter that sits at the top of the drawer, mixed with earlier filter models. To expand the understanding of the variations of the kits, we have a photo of L-3 with a ShM-1 mask, an L-2 kit with an Mod O-8 (what is the difference between models 2 and 3 will be discussed next time), as well as photos of the 1942 exercises, where the crew of an armored train is dressed in ShM-1 and headsets (convenient?) ... I am sure that if the production of O-11 had not been stopped, they would have been in them.

Below are photos of MT-4 and the aforementioned sets with rare L-series filters. What kind of variations are possible for O-11 is still an open question, the answer to which can only be given by the discovery of original sets.

Unknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 maskUnknown Soviet WW2 gas mask - O-11 mask

?

Hello great thread mate. Personally I’ve been searching for a shm1 for a year, but they don’t get rarer than the 0-11. Raul

Very interesting thread. It is really difficult to choose soviet ww2 masks.

because of that I preferred to buy a model ShM-1 mask and with filter MT-4 rather than some variants. thanks to you I know more stuff on this subject.

?

Quote by Gugreze View Post
    Very interesting thread. It is really difficult to choose soviet ww2 masks.

because of that I preferred to buy a model ShM-1 mask and with filter MT-4 rather than some variants. thanks to you I know more stuff on this subject.
    Hello I’m actually in the process of buying a shm-1. I am going to post it on here when I get it. Raul

?

a great subject.

Your English is fine....your research is informative and your presentation is perfect.

Thank you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast