Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

1941 wicker pannier

Article about: Hi All, I picked up this wicker pannier yesterday. It was in a bit of a state with mildew and a bit of worm and a hole in the top which I am planning on fixing. It is lined with thin galvani

Default 1941 wicker pannier

Hi All,
    I picked up this wicker pannier yesterday. It was in a bit of a state with mildew and a bit of worm and a hole in the top which I am planning on fixing. It is lined with thin galvanised steel and originally had a base soldered into it as well.

I gave it a light pressure wash to clean the cack off it and it came up quite well.

It is approx 25" X 14" X 14" and dated on one of the wooden runners . It is the first time I have come across a metal lined one, did it have any special use ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1941 wicker pannier   1941 wicker pannier  

1941 wicker pannier  

?

Reminds me of my first aid trunk except yours has extra security devices. For documents maybe? Can you get a close-up of the date?

1941 wicker pannier

Oz.

Here is the date , Its not the clearest.
    1941 wicker pannier

I have a couple of other wicker panniers. The largest one at the bottom has no visible date but on the Canvas it is labelled Copenhagen Tattoo which was in 1955 and at the time it was the first Tattoo outside the UK. 250 000 spectators went to see it as Rosenborg Castle. This has the same bolt fixing as my new one.

1941 wicker pannier1941 wicker pannier

The smallest one on top is in poor shape and has the canvas cut away where there was once stencilling.

It should look more like this one.
    1941 wicker pannier

I have found some green canvas and I will try to restore it.