Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1944 British Thermos flask

Article about: A recent pick up in very good condition considering it’s age.

Default 1944 British Thermos flask

A recent pick up in very good condition considering it’s age.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944 British Thermos flask   1944 British Thermos flask  

1944 British Thermos flask  

I always wondered why they went for such a large cork closure.....

Quote by Composite View Post
    I always wondered why they went for such a large cork closure.....
    I imagine it was ease of manufacture and economy of material. Not to mention the need to accommodate large chunks of stuff in good old "Airborne stew"

We were still using these very items as late as the late '80s (before everyman and his dog got wise to the design and began making cheaper or more expensive types with all the whistles and bells) but at some point, in the '60s I would guess, the lid was changed to a plastic and rubber type with the "flip over" tension and release lever on top.
    I still have possibly three of that type buried in my shed. I'll dig them out and see what the dates are.

Stand by!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-11-2020 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Here's mine, 1945, and had it's decal reapplied due to a misplacement during mfg.

As I say, we were still using these during my service and believe it or not we actually held spare glass liners for them in the unit stores. Just like all Thermos flasks of the type the bottom is easily removed and the liner is just lifted out (tipped out if smashed I suppose!) and replaced with a new one and the base is re-fixed.

I recall an occasion after these had gone out of service taking a box full of glass liners and tossing them into the rubbish skip. At the time it was quite cathartic to hear them shatter as they hit the metal of the skip

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-11-2020 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I must have led a sheltered life... I've never seen one before, maybe us 'Gunners' were expected to rough it!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I must have led a sheltered life... I've never seen one before, maybe us 'Gunners' were expected to rough it!
    I'll bet they were in your Bty stores Steve but the BQMS was one of those who subscribed to the theory "Stores are for storing, if they were meant to be issued they would be called ISSUES!"

Regards

Mark

When on exercise, with being a gun sub with three 10 ton Leyland's, FCE7 radar, 27.5kva generator, Bofors 40/70mm gun, and a crew of 9 men... a couple of flasks would have been of little use. All we had were dixies to prepare meals. I worked in the TQMS from time to time, and I never saw any in there!

Cheers,
    Steve

From what I've seen in period pics, these where mostly use by air crew.