Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

.303 Ammo Box - What Lies Beneath......

Article about: Proudly presenting my one and only purchase from Military Odyssey '21. Well, I had to buy something..... I have a reasonably decent collection of .303 stuff but somehow never got around to a

Lightbulb .303 Ammo Box - What Lies Beneath......

Proudly presenting my one and only purchase from Military Odyssey '21. Well, I had to buy something.....

I have a reasonably decent collection of .303 stuff but somehow never got around to acquiring a .303 ammo box. Suddenly they're not quite as cheap or plentiful as they used to be - many on the MO stalls were from the 1950s. But I found this one, 1945-dated ( OK, it just scrapes in to my collection ). Very heavily overpainted in O/D ( presumably for later use with NATO ammo ? ). Paid £25.

Back at home, there seemed to be a full set of original markings under the green paint. Turps/thinners didn't work - so tried good old T-Cut. The yellow paint is very tough so a little elbow grease brought it up reasonably well. It'll pass muster until I can find a nice 1944-dated one....

So, BEFORE.....

...and AFTER.....

Painted out as they are required to be when empty. The H51 stayed in service into the 1980's until the last .303in, (cadet use only) was made obsolete.