Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

.303 Rifle Cleaning Kit.

Article about: Wasn't sure if this needed to go into the Firearms bit or here...here won since it's more equipment than a firearm... Found these pics I'd taken of a cleaning kit that was issued with a Lee

Default .303 Rifle Cleaning Kit.

Wasn't sure if this needed to go into the Firearms bit or here...here won since it's more equipment than a firearm...

Found these pics I'd taken of a cleaning kit that was issued with a Lee Enfield No.5 MK1 and since I've not seen many posted on here I thought I stick them up. There not the best pics in the world (might redo them sometime) but you get the gist of it!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture .303 Rifle Cleaning Kit.   .303 Rifle Cleaning Kit.  

.303 Rifle Cleaning Kit.   .303 Rifle Cleaning Kit.  

4md
    ?

Default Re: .303 Rifle Cleaning Kit.

Nice one Mike, iv often thought of getting one of these for my No5, a great little kit

Paul

Some more...

Does anyone know who the S 424 dispersal code belongs too (if that's what it is?) and what does the S.M. 110 mean?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture .303 Rifle Cleaning Kit.   .303 Rifle Cleaning Kit.  

NCA
    ?

Not sure on the dispersal code(if it is?)

All i know is they ran from North to South. N=North.M=midlands.S=south.

On your top picture there is a number painted on the lid.If i'm not mistaken the 2337 block would put it in the Royal corps of Signals.

Quote by NCA View Post
    Not sure on the dispersal code(if it is?)

All i know is they ran from North to South. N=North.M=midlands.S=south.

On your top picture there is a number painted on the lid.If i'm not mistaken the 2337 block would put it in the Royal corps of Signals.
    It looks like a dispersal code but I wasn't sure if they would still be using them in 1946? I think the S. M. 110 is possibly a part number, just for the box maybe rather than the full kit? I happened to be looking thru Graham Priest's 'Spirit of the Pike' book and noticed in a lot of the engineering drawings for the bayonets the components/parts had numbers beginning S.M so I'm guessing at S.M 110 being similar - a component/part of the cleaning kit?

The service number belonged to my dad who was in REME.

NCA
    ?

Ah,My apologies.I was quoting the number block from B.Davis's book on uniforms and insignia.They must have changed post-war?

Quote by NCA View Post
    Ah,My apologies.I was quoting the number block from B.Davis's book on uniforms and insignia.They must have changed post-war?
    I'm not sure, possibly might of done? It's not really something I know much about to be honest.