Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

37mm Trench Art

Article about: Hello all, I have noticed that the "Western Allies" section does not have a Trench Art section. So I am guessing this might be the best place for my thread. If it is not the I am s

Default 37mm Trench Art

Hello all, I have noticed that the "Western Allies" section does not have a Trench Art section. So I am guessing this might be the best place for my thread. If it is not the I am sorry.

Today I picked up a 1942 37mm Mi6 shell that was turned into a lamp. Clearly from the picture the wire was too old to even think of plugging into the wall. I plan on redo the wiring and maybe make a new base for the trench art lamp. Do you guys and gals think that making a new base would take away from the history of the piece?

From Alex.
    37mm Trench Art 37mm Trench Art.

Default Re: 37mm Trench Art

Certainly, rewire it. It's simple enough to do and takes nothing away from it, but rather Restores it's usefulness. But do Not change the Base! The Base is an original part of it and is there because the Vet who made it felt it should be there.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you for your replay, oh yes I knew as soon as I saw it, it had to be re wired. you make a great point about the base. I plan on keeping the base the same. I'll post a picture with it's done.

From Alex.

I wonder what kind of shade he had originally put on it....likely just a cheapie clip-on type of paper shade, I imagine. And, though it's Ohhhh so tempting, don't repaint the base either! Simply clean it up and keep the nicks and bumps that are already there, as they are also part of it's history! It should make a cool desk lamp when you're done!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I was also thinking looking around for a shade. I did see a video of a much larger shell that had a British helmet as the shade. I spouse this lamp is a bit small for a helmet shade . The base is not painted, it is tempting to put a finish on the base but I wont.

From Alex.