Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ammo bandolier

Article about: Just got this one really cheap and want to see what you guys can tell me about it? Age, maker? Also, I've seen several of these having black X's over the markings, why is this? Sold as surpl

?

Default Ammo bandolier

Just got this one really cheap and want to see what you guys can tell me about it? Age, maker?

Also, I've seen several of these having black X's over the markings, why is this? Sold as surplus?

Ammo bandolierAmmo bandolier

Earlier kahki color for M1 Garand is my guess. The X out maybe for repack. I do not know the maker.
    John

?

The marking says "SI 37111" if I'm not mistaken?

?

Very similar to my Australian bandoliers (photo attached).
    The X is simply so the bandolier can be reused without any confusion about the contents.

Ammo bandolier

Oz.

?

Ammo bandolier

So the bandolier comes "preloaded" with ammo matching the markings, once that's been used and the bandolier is reloaded they cross it out so they can load it with something else?

NCA
    ?

Quote by m1m3r View Post
    Ammo bandolier

So the bandolier comes "preloaded" with ammo matching the markings, once that's been used and the bandolier is reloaded they cross it out so they can load it with something else?

Spot on.

One of my Bandoliers was originally filled in 1922 and then had four more refilling dates of 1938, 1942, 1944 and 1945.Each date was 'X'ed out.

?

Thanks, guys! I've tried finding some more info on these bandoliers but it's scarce, unlike most other equipment. Anyone got a link where this item is described in more detail? Like, for instance, what the markings on my bandolier means?

AIF
    ?

It pretty much means exactly what it says

CAL .30 BALL M2 = .30 Calibre Mark 2 Ball Ammunition
    8 RD Clips = In 8 Round Clips
    S? 37111 = Is the manufacturer code and lot number. I think maybe the second letter should be an L which would be St. Louis Missouri

?

Thanks! Yeah, it's the last line that's interesting.

How were these bandoliers actually used? I understand how they probably were used when new, being an easy way of distributing large quantities of ammo. But I guess they were never re-used but discarded in a war scenario? Collected and refilled only in training? And in the case of my bandolier, never re-used but stored and at sometime sold or thrown away since it's lacking new markings?

They were discarded if empty and in battle. Really not much ammo though, 48 rounds on en blocs. Many soldiers would bring several additional bandoliers in during battle. They are not easy to get the ammo out of so it was more mainly just to get the ammo to where they needed it. Partially empty ones were refilled by the soldiers that carried them. Front line troops were not concerned about the markings. They would have been X'd out if repacked by the supply personnel behind the lines.
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast